PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Mold would be either irregular OR originating from a place and spreading in patches, and fuzzy or powdery.

I'll start out by saying that I'd smoke the OP's tobacco and have smoked lots of tobacco that looked that way. But, I'm not sure it's clear if it's powder or crystal. I'm smoking stuff now that has lots of both but it doesn't stink.

Because it looks powdery?

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
I have mainly experience with cigars and they easily get white mold that can be fluffy or just white spots. Mold does not fall of from cigars. If cigars get little bit of white mold it can be wiped of and they are good to smoke.
I am not an expert with pipe tobacco mold but I would guess it's mold. I had mold in my SGBBF and I toss it to garbage bin.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Sadly, SG has had some moldy FVF in the not distant past. My recollection is that it was in the large bulk packs that were affected.

Mold can afflict any manufacturer’s tobacco. You really need to take each case of “mold or not” individually.
I remember a mold problem with SG in 2020 with 500g boxes. I had the retailer open my boxes prior to shipment.

Reactions: fireground_piper