PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Evening gents.

I recently came across a local who sells tins if FVF and I acquired one to sample.
The tin note is sweet and wonderful, and the flake itself is extremely damp, by far the most I've witnessed out of a tin.
I proceeded to dry some out for a day and that resulted in extremely dry flakes that I felt lacked any significant flavor.
With the rather large fan base, I was wondering whether I was approaching this brand all wrong. Should I smoke it damp right out of the jar with no dry time?
As it currently stands I find this to be quite underwhelming.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Dry out was way too long. I usually lay a few flakes on a tin for half an hour to an hour, then stuff. Yeah, you still need relights, but would you rather burn a few extra matches or let all those tasty oils evaporate so you only have to use two matches?
Another way is break the seal, close the tin back and let it wait a week and usually it's perfect....you just have to know a week ahead of time that your going to be in a FVF mood.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
Another way is break the seal, close the tin back and let it wait a week and usually it's perfect....you just have to know a week ahead of time that your going to be in a FVF mood.
+1.
I do this every time when I purchase a SG tin. I've found that 3-4 days is enough for me.

firehosen

Lurker
Dec 12, 2015
I have a jar full that I initially purchased about 3 or 4 years ago. Haven't had any in about a year, but I think I might be with jollyroger on this one. Maybe I was too hyped up by the fact that it was VERY hard to find at the time. But it just seems hot to me. And that kills the flavor. Tried drying it a couple times but SG is rather known for wet tobacco.

But the cube cut is something I haven't tried yet, might be worth a go? Or might be that straight, full Virginias seem to have more spice than I like.

Also, silly me just saw there was a link posted above. Got a day off tomorrow, maybe we'll try that out.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I just got an 8 oz box, and agree that it's the "soggiest" I've ever had.
I lightly rub mine out and spread on a clean sheet of paper for about 5 minutes and then lightly (ever so LIGHTLY) pack into a bowl with some dry rubbings on top for tinder.
Try it and let me know.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
There are people who like it straight out of the tin, and there are those who like it dry, so you will get very different opinions. I have smoked it straight out of the tin, and while it is certainly tasty, it can also burn very hot and you might end up with a nasty tongue burn. For me it works best with at least 12 hours drying time, and even more if necessary. Also I let it dry inside the house and not in direct sunlight. Microwave is something I do not associate with smoking and would never do to my tobacco, so I can not speak about that. It is a difficult but great blend if you stick with it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Microwave is something I do not associate with smoking and would never do to my tobacco, so I can not speak about that.
Don't knock it till you try it ... works like a charm for overly moist tobacco.
Some blends take more time than others to get right ... Dark Star is another one of those.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I wouldn't put my tobacco in the microwave
... and that's OK! :puffy:
There are many things that other pipe smokers do which I never will ... just don't knock it until you've actually tried it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
My second bowl of FVF, cube cut, let dry for half hour, load pipe, puff away. I don't get the problems with this flake.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've got two tins of FVF, haven't opened them. But I smoke 1792 and Chocolate Flake, I let them sit out over night and have no problems. I like dry tobacco and sip. I'll have to experiment when opening FVF, Andy's method may be my first attempt instead of over night drying.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I popped the tin the night before so it must of dried a tiny bit, it's till too moist, I'm waiting for it to reach my preferred moisture level then into the jar it will go. This stuff ages fast, with only a year or so on it, there's already huge streaks of plume. I'll try rubbing it out once it's dryer, I found my second bowl to be getting a bit more flavor, the first wasn't bad at all, I just find most Va flakes seem to open up in flavor when the air reacts with them. It really isn't as finicky as people say, at least not to me.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Lol Andy. Juxtapose what you wrote about FVF vs popping the top on a can of Union Square and loading a bowl. Yes, FVF is finicky and demands effort in order to be smoked. You don't need to sacrifice a dove at dawn to get it to burn, but comparatively, yeah...it's a pita.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Don't knock it till you try it ... works like a charm for overly moist tobacco
It probably does, I have heard other people say so. But why nuke it when you could just let it dry for a day? However, one should do what one feels works best. Merry Christmas everybody !

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I cube my FVF into smaller cubes than any of my other flakes. I let it sit for an hour or so and then load it into one of my group 4 Dublins or Rhodesians and get a great smoke. It took me some time to figure this out but it has been so worth it.
I am currently smoking a bowl of SG St James Flake in a group 5 billiard that was cubed into larger cubes than my FVF. This particular batch is from 2012 and is smoking great right out of my jar. 3 plus years really does my three SG flakes( Best Brown, FVF and St Jaames) wonders. I recently opened a tin of 2004 FVF that is sublime, it is tasting of stewed prunes, raisins and figs. Amazing what a decade or more will do for these wonderful blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.