FVF And Cringle Flake Burn My Tongue Instantly.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
No other tobacco does this. Regardless of pipe used, tobacco moisture, and packing technique, FVF instantly bites me even before the charring light is done. It’s like a fine mist of acid (burning kind not fun kind) is being sprayed on my tongue. Cringle Flake is the same but slightly less intense. Why these two only? I love VA and VA/Per and smoke them almost exclusively mostly without issue. What do these two have in common that doesn’t agree with me? I smoke the shit out of red VA in blends like HU My Red Fox and Carolina Red Flake so I’m certain it’s not a red Virginia allergy or sensitivity. Any thoughts?

• Sad
Reactions: Scottmi

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
i haven't tried FVF but I have to be careful with the 2022 Cringle Flake. Peterson system and a 9mm filter pipe both worked to preserve my tongue as i continue to find out what this flake is about... I really have to take this one slow.

Reactions: yanoJL

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Do you smoke anything else from those 2 blending houses?
I have a jarred tin of Sammy G Navy Flake which was way better but I’ve only had one bowl of it because I’m not loving Latakia lately. I love most other Sutliff made blends like Galloping Gertie and Deception pass. I also adore Watch City 558 and Old Dominion and Sutliff’s VA/Per Crumble Kake.

Reactions: fireground_piper

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
No other tobacco does this. Regardless of pipe used, tobacco moisture, and packing technique, FVF instantly bites me even before the charring light is done. It’s like a fine mist of acid (burning kind not fun kind) is being sprayed on my tongue. Cringle Flake is the same but slightly less intense. Why these two only? I love VA and VA/Per and smoke them almost exclusively mostly without issue. What do these two have in common that doesn’t agree with me? I smoke the shit out of red VA in blends like HU My Red Fox and Carolina Red Flake so I’m certain it’s not a red Virginia allergy or sensitivity. Any thoughts?
I’ll just say: This isn’t tongue bite. Tongue bite cannot occur “before the charring light is done,” since it occurs when puffing too quickly on an already lit bowl.

I love FVF and have no experience with Cringle Flake. But this sounds like an allergic or negative pH reaction to me. (I have a similar response to perique…although I can enjoy it in very small quantities.) What baffles me is how it could possibly be related to two such different blends, from very different manufacturers.

I’ll second the response, though, that inquired whether you can smoke any other blends from either company. Because it’s possible that there is a proprietary topping being used that you’re reacting to. (Although it would really surprise me if both of these companies were using an identical product.)

One other question: It’s been a while since I’ve opened a tin of FVF; does it take that “belt and suspenders” approach of an inner plastic bag inside the tin? Does Cringle Cake? Because maybe you’re reacting to the packaging itself and not actually the tobacco.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I have to be careful with straight Virginia blends. Something likely due to personal body chemistry. But if they have a few years age on them, I’m usually fine. Its the fresh stuff that’s more likely to cause a reaction in me.

Mac

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Kind of surprising with FVF. I find that to be one of the least bitey Virginia blends. Solution is easy, avoid those two blends. Clearly am allergic reaction. Have you smoked SG BBF and did you react to it?
I definitely avoid these blends. I’m guessing BBF is Best Brown Flake. The only Sammy G I’ve had is FVF and Navy Flake. I have some Springtime Flake and some Summer Flake but they’re sealed in their tins in my stash.

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I’ll just say: This isn’t tongue bite. Tongue bite cannot occur “before the charring light is done,” since it occurs when puffing too quickly on an already lit bowl.

I love FVF and have no experience with Cringle Flake. But this sounds like an allergic or negative pH reaction to me. (I have a similar response to perique…although I can enjoy it in very small quantities.) What baffles me is how it could possibly be related to two such different blends, from very different manufacturers.

I’ll second the response, though, that inquired whether you can smoke any other blends from either company. Because it’s possible that there is a proprietary topping being used that you’re reacting to. (Although it would really surprise me if both of these companies were using an identical product.)

One other question: It’s been a while since I’ve opened a tin of FVF; does it take that “belt and suspenders” approach of an inner plastic bag inside the tin? Does Cringle Cake? Because maybe you’re reacting to the packaging itself and not actually the tobacco.
I’d buy all of this because it sounds reasonable. The FVF I have I purchased on this forum. It was jarred in 2018 so I wouldn’t know how it’s packaged in the tin. I would love to get to know that tobacco but it’s just not gonna happen.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I’d buy all of this because it sounds reasonable. The FVF I have I purchased on this forum. It was jarred in 2018 so I wouldn’t know how it’s packaged in the tin. I would love to get to know that tobacco but it’s just not gonna happen.
The fact that you didn’t buy it in a sealed tin raises a host of other possibilities… For one thing, unless you personally know (IRL) the person you purchased it from, you have no idea whether you’re actually smoking FVF. And if it is FVF, you have no idea how it’s been treated prior to arriving at your doorstep. (Perhaps the seller had ”sanitized” his jars with Windex, for instance.)

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
The fact that you didn’t buy it in a sealed tin raises a host of other possibilities… For one thing, unless you personally know (IRL) the person you purchased it from, you have no idea whether you’re actually smoking FVF. And if it is FVF, you have no idea how it’s been treated prior to arriving at your doorstep.
This is potentially true but also pretty paranoid. Since this is a fairly tight community and the person I purchased from is a longtime member, I suspect there is nothing fishy happening but you’re right, there could be. Still not gonna smoke FVF flake though.

Reactions: rmbittner

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Was the Cringle Flake also purchased after it was opened?

I find Cringle Flake to be one of the more smooth VaPers out there.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've noticed a habit of being really eager to taste the smoke while lighting, and if a blend takes a lot of attempts to get going (looking at you, FVF), my tongue can get halfway fried before the bowl is even rolling. So I'm trying to retrain myself to point the button to the side and keep my tongue out of the way while lighting. Something to consider...

Last edited:

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I've noticed a habit of being really eager to taste the smoke while lighting, and if a blend takes a lot of attempts to get going (looking at you, FVF), my tongue can get halfway fried before the bowl is even rolling. So I'm trying to retrain myself to point the button to the side and keep my tongue out of the way while lighting. Something to consider...
Smart. Good suggestion.

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I find they both have a similar “jerky” texture in the jar. I wonder if there is a component that makes them look similar to me that might be bothering me. Obviously this is just me kind of shooting the shit with other pipers. This is not a huge issue as the solution to the problem is to simply stay away which I will…for now.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Could be a batch thing. I love Best Brown Flake, always smooth and sweet, but I recently opened up a jar from 2018 and it's like smoking a flame thrower. Same with an 18 year old tin of Montgomery that I opened a few months back, pure fire. I hadn't experienced that with either blend before. It doesn't seem from what you write, that you have a body chemistry issue with reds per se, so it comes down to something in this tin, and it might be something that the tobacco got processed with, or flavored with, or just the luck of the crop.

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Could be a batch thing. I love Best Brown Flake, always smooth and sweet, but I recently opened up a jar from 2018 and it's like smoking a flame thrower. Same with an 18 year old tin of Montgomery that I opened a few months back, pure fire. I hadn't experienced that with either blend before. It doesn't seem from what you write, that you have a body chemistry issue with reds per se, so it comes down to something in this tin, and it might be something that the tobacco got processed with, or flavored with, or just the luck of the crop.
No kidding!? Very interesting. I’m kind of relieved to know another member can relate to being burned by other well loved blends that many consider to be “smooth and/or bite-free”.
The piper’s path is long and winding.

Reactions: vosBghos