PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
We have all seen the crazy prices for Bo Nordh and Jess Chonowitsch pipes, to name only a couple of the handful of pipemaking icons. So let me ask you - will any of today's artisan pipemakers reach, or come close to, that lofty sphere 20 or 30 years from now? In your view, who are the future icons in this hobby?

Dec 24, 2012
I hear you guys - just wondering if you have any predictions? Mike, I am especially interested in your views. If you were all liquored up, and you had to bet on 3 or 4 artisans whose pipes in 20 or 30 years will be selling for 2 or 3 (or more) times what they are selling for now (after factoring out inflation), who would you bet on. Personal views and predictions are what I'm looking for.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I predict all of the artisans who represent my collection will be icons. My plan is to get all the pipes I want and then off them so my pipes increase in value. Rad is first on my list. lol
Seriously though folks, I think it will be a few of the older Danes who make the list first. Guys like S Bang, Teddy Knudsen, Hans Nielesn aka Former, Tom Eltang. I also believe they will have to have died before icon status is achieved, unlike Jess Chonowitsch and Ivarsson who are living legends.

K

klause

Mark Balkovec.
A total gent, artist and master craftsman.
His work is stunning.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I don't know much about the Danes, so I won't weigh in on them.
I do know a little about American carvers, and there are a few who posses an extremely high level of craftsman ship and whose work is constantly in demand; they sell out immediately despite steadily increasing prices.
Jeff Gracik (J. Allen)

JT Cooke

Todd Johnson

Grant Batson

Rad Davis

Joe Nelson

Scott Thile

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I would submit Michael Parks, Rolando Negoita, Trever Talbert, Larry Roush, and JT Cooke as producing iconic pipes that will only appreciate in value. There are many others as well, but these names leap out first and foremost.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I don't know about icon but Peter Heding has a chance to something special. He has only been at it for a couple of years and has a lot of growth ahead of him.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
From the UK you might wish to consider Chris Askwith as a future star. He doesn't seem to be internationally well-known - yet!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Oh man, that is a question that really made me sit back and think (something I really hate doing), Peck.
Like many here, I think the next icon will have to be dead. So, not sure any of them would appreciate my short list below. Only one name comes to mind that would fit your inquiry qualifications -
J.T. Cooke
Live long and prosper, Jim!
Pipestud

Dec 24, 2012
I agree with the sentiment that icons are in many respects the product of publicity and lore - and who knows how that will unfold.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For my money Mike from Briar Blues is already an icon. No one I have ever dealt with in the pipe world is more honest, or has as much concern that the pipe you buy is the right one for you. He has steered me away from a number of pipes because he knew they were not right for me. He would rather lose a sale than sell you the wrong pipe, the man is all class.
When it comes to aged tobacco, Pipestud aka Steve Fallon is an icon. He has sold me tins that I could re sell for triple what I paid him( I would never do that because I love aged tobacco) his prices on most of his stuff is that good. We of course will not hold it against him that his favorite blend is Royal Yuck and that he has over 400 tins of it.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
It is true that I am a legend in my own mind and do hoard Royal Yacht. It is also true that my wife knows me better than all of you and that's why she left me. :crying: ... Just kidding! She's still with me, just not very smart, I guess. I always tell her I married her for her looks anyway. And she always tells me it wasn't looks at all that attracted her to me. She said she's always been a sucker for men who smoke pipes and that I was the first one she saw. Just a case of being at the right place at the right time, I guess. :puffpipe:
Pipestud

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Steve, you know your wife married you for your money, not many people know that Steve was born with a Platinum spoon in his mouth. He comes from old oil money and his pipe business and sportscasting are just hobbies. The man drives a Rolls Royce and his wife a Bentley, he even has a special room in his house that stays a constant 58 degrees and 42 percent humidity, so his Royal Yuck will be perfect for years to come.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I think Micah Cryder has enormous potential as an artisan pipe maker. He crafts waht many consider to be wonderful pipes and I believe he is only 20 years old. I guess if he were an athlete he might be referred to as a phenom. If you haven't seen any of his work check out Yeti pipes. Then again I may just have a soft spot for him because he is from Montana, but I think his pipes are just beautiful and I have heard they smoke very well.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I think I misunderstood the direction of the forum with my mention of Peter Heding. Oh well I think is artistry is top drawer. Interesting thread Michael and thank you for your contribution to this great hobbie.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Steve, you know your wife married you for your money, not many people know that Steve was born with a Platinum spoon in his mouth. He comes from old oil money and his pipe business and sportscasting are just hobbies. The man drives a Rolls Royce and his wife a Bentley, he even has a special room in his house that stays a constant 58 degrees and 42 percent humidity, so his Royal Yuck will be perfect for years to come.
I simply cannot believe the mis-information you are spewing, Harris. Everybody knows my house stays at a constant 70 degrees. Dadgum, I'd freeze solid at 58... That's blizzard conditions down here in Texas. The rest of what you said is true, of course.
Piperichoutthewazoostud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well, now you've got me blushing out the wazoo, Mike.
I appreciate your comments, but I guarantee you that there isn't a single person in the hobby that I've met that has ever said anything less than wonderful and respectful things about you. I aspire to get to your status, pardner.
Now, before I get all gushy; quit saying dastardly and despicable things about my beloved Royal Yacht! It is the nectar of the gods!
Can't wait to see you in Vegas, Mike!
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.