PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2019
Lower Terrebonne
Like many, I am practicing social distancing and staying at home. Except for putting my boat in the water and doing as little fishing and vegetable gardening, I'm pretty much bored stiff. I've watched just about everything worth watching on cable and Netflix. Then, HBO released a new movie on cable titled,"Yesterday". For any fans of The Beatles, this is a fun watch and very entertaining. The film is well-done and raises the question of what the world would be like without their music. The scene with a 78 year old John Lennon is the film's highlight. I give the film 5 stars.

Jun 9, 2018
England
For more adult movies I'd recommend:
Joker
And these on Netflix:
The Silence of The Lambs
Training Day
Goodfellas
The Irishman
American Psycho
A Fistfull Of Dollars
The Good The Bad And The Ugly
Hang 'Em High
The Highwaymen
Platoon
The Great Escape

More fun films (also on Netflix):
Groundhog Day
Beetlejuice
See No Evil, Hear No Evil
Shrek 1 & 2

All apart from Joker are on Netflix, which if you don't subscribe to yet you can get a free 30 day trial.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Scorsese's "The Irishman." It may be too long, and the main character mob hitman is more charming than he is entitled to be (Robert DeNiro), but the acting is remarkable, and the rumination of the elderly hitman, who outlives a battalion of other gangsters who are shot, exploded in cars, etc. etc., serves as a kind of postmortem (so to speak) on how that world malfunctioned in its dystopian way. As it and other crime worlds still do.

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
The-Hunt-2020-690x1092.jpg

actually pretty good and the protagonist is super funny

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
A friend sent my wife birthday DVD's of "1917" and "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood," so we'll watch those, maybe one tonight and the other next week. Her choice; it's her birthday.
I really liked both of those movies. They couldn't be more different, but they're both great. 1917 is just amazing to watch... because of the cinematography. Never seen anything like it. Story is great too. Hollywood is just fun!!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Goodfellas
One of my all-time favorites and probably the most essential gangster movie ever made.

For fans of the genre, I highly recommend "City of God" which takes place in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro and has a similar narrative style to Goodfellas and a delightful young protagonist. The movie has an incredible energy to it, and though it takes itstime telling a story that spans roughly 20 years, at no point does it feel slow. The setting, characters and actors (many non-professionals) are very different from the normal perspectives we get from American movies and it's very immersive. Can't say enough good things about it, really.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Scorsese's "The Irishman." It may be too long, and the main character mob hitman is more charming than he is entitled to be (Robert DeNiro), but the acting is remarkable, and the rumination of the elderly hitman, who outlives a battalion of other gangsters who are shot, exploded in cars, etc. etc., serves as a kind of postmortem (so to speak) on how that world malfunctioned in its dystopian way. As it and other crime worlds still do.
I really just need to sit down and watch the damn thing. I like so many Scorsese films and the cast is basically a list of the top actors of their generation. Just have to commit the 220 minutes or whatever. Maybe I'll smoke a big Partagas Lusitania cigar or something when I do

Status
Not open for further replies.