PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I just started reading a book called "Stupid American History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions" and on the first page it says "Andrew Jackson's wife, Rachael, was the only first lady who smoked a pipe."

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
This excerpt is from encyclopaedia Britannica's Guide to American Presidents:

"A highly religious woman who, upon doctor's orders, smoked a corncob pipe as a purported cure for shortness of breath, she was considered unsophisticated and uneducated by genteel society."

http://www.britannica.com/presidents/article-9097182 :puffy:

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
There are some really bad puns in the book at the end of the facts, but they all seem to be accurate. Quite a few of the facts are stuff I already knew, some contradict things I'd heard in the past, and many are completely new to me but they all seem to be serious, although presented lightheartedly. It's a decent, quick read if you're just bored.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
"A highly religious woman who, upon doctor's orders, smoked a corncob pipe as a purported cure for shortness of breath, she was considered unsophisticated and uneducated by genteel society."
That reminds me of a story I heard when taking a tour of the "Molly Brown House" here in Denver. Molly Brown was one of the survivors of the Titanic and became known as the "Unsinkable" Molly Brown.
Anyway, on the tour as you enter the kitchen of her old home, they tell the story about how her mother would often come to visit and stay at the house. Her (Molly's mom) favorite thing to do was sit in the kitchen and smoke a corn cob pipe. Unconfirmed rumors suggest that Molly Brown herself also enjoyed puffing on a pipe now and then as well. Apparently, her husband hated it as it was not considered "lady" like! :P

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
If only we could find a photo of the former first lady puffing on some tobacco. It would be a great addition to our Pipe Babes section.

Status
Not open for further replies.