PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
I'm quite sure that everyone has already tried it, but I'm mesmerized with my first try, so I decided to write the closest thing to a review I could come up with. Since I'm about to go to bed and wanted a short smoke, I used one of my smaller pipes, a BlackJack Opera. The flakes were a bit moist IMO out of the 250g baggie so I dried it for about 30 minutes. Two lights were enough to start it going and I only needed one relight throughout the smoke. I'd say it's on the heavier side of Straight VAs (my rotation VAs include PTS LTF, Dunhill Flake and Astleys 55). The Virginia "sweetness" is more effortlessly spotted than the aforementioned blends and includes a note of leather and earth. Although I experienced a slight bite towards the end of the bowl, I believe it is due to my newfound fascination and strong urge to sleep. Nic-hit wasn't an issue, although that would be an incredibly personal thing. In short, an easily enjoyable VA.
Question - I had prepared a 8oz Mason jar to store it, but found that the flakes were too long to store them sparingly. So, I sort of crumbled them in. Would that be fine for long term storage?

In my experience, once you pop a top on an aged blend over 10 years old, you have a pretty limited time frame to consume all of the tobacco. smoking moderately, I can consume 2oz in under a week. If it takes you longer than a month to consume the whole contents of an 8oz jar, you might want to consider using smaller jars.
Newbie builders of pipe tobacco cellars generally don't head this warning, in exchange for the convenience of using fewer of the bigger jars. But, aged tobacco starts to break down into a sawdust-like shit dust rather quickly after opening.
It may be that you can consume the whole jar before it turns to shit... or maybe not. Do you want to risk it?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I grind my FVF in a small food chopper and then place it in 1/2 pint mason jars. I'll place some in a tobacco pouch and smoke that on a daily basis. After about a week in the pouch the tobacco dries out to the point where I have no problems getting it lit and keeping it lit.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
An 8 ounce (half pint) jar can hold about 2 ounces of ribbon cut, or a little more of flakes. I don't think that's unreasonable, but I agree with Cosmic on the wisdom of avoiding large jars. All my bulk cellar is in half-pint mason jars.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
It does get tempting to take shortcuts when jarring, especially when I’ve been doing a lot of it. Recently, I stuffed a whole 250 gram box of FVF into a quart jar during a moment of defiance. After a few weeks of nagging guilt, I split it up into smaller jars like a good boy. Sleeping better now.
FVF is awesome for sure. Too bad it’s not a secret.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, if you find a leaf or blend that is terrific but not getting mentioned, it is then a question of whether to share or hoard the information. Most of us can't help ourselves and brag it up, but you might think twice. Lay in a supply. Mention it quietly.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I also think Full Virginia Flake is awesome - delicious stuff! Best to dry it a bit like you did.
I also agree that it's preferable to use smaller jars for storage. I put (almost) everything that comes as bulk in 1/2 pint wide mouth Mason/Kerr jars. They hold ~2 oz. nicely & the larger opening makes it easier to load my pipes.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Love love love it. It’s been about 6months now that I’ve been waiting for FVF and other Sam Gawith blends to become available again. I’m so desperate I’ve considered paying the steep EBay prices. Alas, good things come to those who wait.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
I also use 1/2 pint wide mouth jars, and keep a supply of lids. When I empty one, I throw the glass in the dishwasher, replace the lid, use the same screw top, and I'm good to go. I'll fill it with something else, write the brand and the date on the sealed lid with a Sharpie, and repeat the process after the blend has been properly aged. Seems to work.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks for the advice everyone! Mason jars are rather expensive in where I live, so I recently bought some Perma-Moist? zip lock baggies from Iwan Ries. They're doing great for about a month, but would it be good for long term storage as well?
@mso489 Sorry if you didn't like this post. I had the impression that everybody already knew it...
@catholicpiper My FVF was ordered from SP, I got the one-time alert less than a month after I signed up for it. Keep an eye on it and I'm sure you'll be able to get your hands on some!

Status
Not open for further replies.