Full Virginia Flake: Bulk Versus 50g Tin.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi folks, I am a huge fan of FVF (who isn't?) and have always bought it in 50g tins and never had any complaints. However I am toying with the idea of buying it in bulk 250g boxes to save a few bob and wondered if there was any difference in quality twixt the two packages.
I doubt there is a difference but I would like to be sure afore I press ahead.
Regards,
Jay.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Jay, I've bought FVF and St. James Flake in the 250g boxes and have not noticed a quality difference. The flakes have been in good shape, in tact and I can't discern any taste difference. Russ Oulette, one of our prominent blenders, once wrote an article on the subject and gave a slight nod to the 50g tins in that he thinks tobacco ages better in smaller quantities. You certainly gain some economy with the larger packages, though.
Eric

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Imo it takes a year for the bulk to equal the tin wrt: the Va flakes. That said, I always buy the bulk.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Cheers Eric and Bigpond, I do actually have quite a few tins packed away hoping to age them a little so I may well go ahead and buy some bulk.
Thing is it is so much cheaper in the US (which is crazy for a UK blend) that even with p+p I think I will still be saving money. I am currently paying £12:85 per 50g tin :roll:
Problem is though finding a US supplier that actually has it in stock. I have looked at the site sponsors but to no avail :crying:
Regards,
Jay.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I'm doing an experiment myself. I originally bought a 250g box but it didn't love up to expectations. I purchased a number of tins that are now going on 4 years old. Soon it will be time to pop one and see where we're at.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I buy the 250g box, and immediately split it into 2 1/2 pint jars.

I find the box is not at such a high moisture content as the tin.

I've had a few of the tins, too. The tobacco in the tins does tend to be darker than what is in the box. It evens out after a few years, though.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, the Pipe and Leaf has the 250 g option of FVF for $31.22."
Geoff, that is an absolute steal at that price! That said, I am not familiar with the vendor. I shall look into it tomorrow, cheers for that :puffy:
"The tobacco in the tins does tend to be darker than what is in the box."
Bry, that is interesting. Invariably the flakes that come in the tins I buy from my UK seller is dark and covered in crystals. However, one of the two tins I bought from a forum member of Limited Edition Aged FVF (2014) was much darker and much denser in flavour.
I have always thought this particular blend is sent out with some age upon it already. I could be way off the mark but my eye and tastebuds suggest this is the case.
I shall 'speak' with my US proxy supplier to see what he knows and perhaps more importantly at what cost.
Currently 250g would cost me £60:75 and £120:49 for 500g so you can see what I am dealing with :roll:
I would be quite happy buying the bulk for immediate smoking and keep my tins (plus additions) for saving just so long as the flavour is the same.
Thanks for the input fellas.
Regards,
Jay.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I agree with Bryguysc. That's how I buy mine. I used to buy tins a few years ago but they were soggy. Switched to bulk and never looked back. But, I just received a large cellar sell off and I now have two tins of aged FVF. I'm cracking one next week after I get back home.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I used to buy tins a few years ago but they were soggy."
Ash, soggy doesn't bother me one jot, I'm quite accustomed to having to dry my baccy afore smoking it.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.