PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Pork & Beans or Baked Beans? I call them Pork & Beans, others say Baked Beans.

I was raised in a household that always said Pork & Beans. I recently mentioned to a friend that I ate a brat with pork & beans and she stated "You mean baked beans?"

What is it?

Pork & Beans or Baked Beans? I call them Pork & Beans, others say Baked Beans.

I was raised in a household that always said Pork & Beans. I recently mentioned to a friend that I ate a brat with pork & beans and she stated "You mean baked beans?"

What is it?
IMHO Pork-n-beans and baked beans are two different beasts. Pork-n-beans are a bit more tomato and cane sugar heavy and baked beans are darker and richer with more of a brown sugar molasses flavor. Both have pork in them and in this instance I used "baked" beans :)

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
A 'Full Irish?' New one on me. Having said that I'm taking for granted you know what you're talking about. Lol

Reactions: briarcudgel

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A full Irish breakfast is what the farmer would have enjoyed years ago. Good for a full day in the field. Today, i'ts what truckers often breakfast on. In Ireland "pudding" is sausage. Blood sausage is "black" pudding. Usually black and white are served as well as rashers of bacon, tomatoes, and well, it's a full meal ... a really full meal as you can see in the photo. A visitor should experience it at least once in Ireland.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I always only eat a light breakfast. Never did understand eating baked beans and tomatoes at breakfast and have no desire to try black pudding.:)

have no desire to try black pudding.:)
Give it a go! It may sound unappealing but it is quite tasty! I liked the version with a slice of black and white pudding when I was there. After a full Irish You are definitely full and ready for a long day of touring and drinking! One day we were on rough seas visiting the Skelligs and a German guy puked and the surly boat captain laughed at him gave him a bucket and said, "Well there's a Full Irish!!" my son and i laugh about it to this day.

Last edited:

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
If you want a true FIB many places will send you black & white pudding by mail. Also, I know there are a couple Irish shops in Denver that carry them.

Don't know exactly where you are in the Rockies, but I'm sure you could get it if you wanted.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Give it a go! It may sound unappealing but it is quite tasty! I liked the version with a slice of black and white pudding when I was there. After a full Irish You are definitely full and ready for a long day of touring and drinking! One day we were on rough seas visiting the Skelligs and a German guy puked and the surly boat captain laughed at him gave him a bucket and said, "Well there's a Full Irish!!" my son and i laugh about it to this day.
Being of Ulster Scot ancestry, have had haggis on more than 1 occasion. But, that didn't ring any of my gastronomic bells either.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
A Full Irish is what you decide it is.

I like the idea of baked beans. I enjoy slicing whatever I'm smoking and adding it to the beans along with bacon and Karo syrup. 350 for a good long while,

Reactions: briarcudgel
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I dig the concept of a full Irish breakfast, but never had one. Respect for busting out all the dishes. While it may be heresy to some, I enjoy sausage more than bacon (and don't understand the tomato aspect unless it is meant to be akin to ketchup, but without the sweetness).

If I make breakfast (which is rare), it's crispy beef hash with a runny egg, splash of hot sauce, and heavy on the black pepper.

Our of curisoity, aren't the beans supposed to be more tomatoes based (less sweet and kind of dry), like with proper beans and toast? B&M and Heinz have versions, if I recall.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The beans are Irish style, tomato sauce. The tomatoes are fried. The bacon is leaner than American, tastier also as the pigs are hormone free and raised on farms not pig factories. Most all of the ingrediants are available to be shipped from Ireland. And, one isn't required to eat the entire offering to get the full flavors. At most Irish hotels you can build as much or as little as you desire at the morning buffet. But, if given the chance, I strongly recommend you should try at least a bit of all that's offered, including the puddings. Well, particularly the puddings at least once. And, if you are a gastronome of not that many years ... go for it, the entire plate ... at least once in your life! 'tis a worthy undertaking it is.

. And, if you are a gastronome of not that many years ... go for it, the entire plate ... at least once in your life! 'tis a worthy undertaking it is.
? AGREE! @warren. I ate full irish ☘️ most mornings and after several days I decided to take it light and had the best eggs Benedict of my life in Killarney. It was so good i took a photo and yes before a purist here points it out it is on a croissant and not an English muffin. OH, and I do not eat eggs Benedict often - only a few times so take my word lightly. :)

0CD3D7EF-D903-4642-8745-CEDE9161DB08.png

Last edited: