PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I love my Zippo pipe lighter. It works better than any I've tried (which is not many). But I hate the flavor of the fuel. Even my most careful effort seems to saturate the pack with that awful twang. So I've stopped using the lighter. I'm taking it to my brother tomorrow to see whether he wants it.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Let the flame burn for a second after lighting and don't hold it too far sideways. If you turn it too far the fuel comes out the wick just the same as when you're filling it and you get a few drops coming out.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I read a post here a while back about FLICWIC hemp style lighters and now have a couple as backups to my zippo and St. Dupont (China knock-off - thnx BROBS for the posting on that one--"ping!" which is the sound that heavy sucker makes when it opens LOL!). FLICKWIC's use a small BIC to light the hemp wick then simply let go of the BIC lever and use the wick to light the pipe, candle, whatever with no scent of light fuel and having a soft flame. Let me add--I mainly use a butane insert in my Zippos for several pipe bowls each day/night. Whatever works for You!
kindly
mike

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Before you give up the zippo try getting a butane tank for it:

View attachment 82792

+1. Zippos are well worth hanging on to if you can get an insert that will help you. The butane inserts seem to work real well and should give you a more neutral taste.

I read a post here a while back about FLICWIC hemp style lighters
Whoa! Just looked those up and they look like a perfect solution to my issues with hemp wick. I'd tried the wick before but had issues using it effectively and felt like having to use a lighter to light it made it somewhat pointless. I'll have to give one a try.

Reactions: BROBS

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
They are nice to use around the house...
WXqh88o.jpg

Reactions: LikeDadDid

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I get more fuel taste from bics and other butane lighters. You just have to let it burn off a bit. Also make sure your wick is not too long. Also the fuel is a gas that rises so if you're drawing the flame down you'd have to draw very hard on the pipe to get any fuel. Don't draw the flame into the tobacco just pretend you're torturing it and hold the flame just far enough away to scare it a little bit ;). All those things should help. And most importantly don't take a swig of the fluid first (look I recognize that glint in your eye in your profile pic so don't pretend you don't do it.). And if it doesn't work make sure you trade with one of the nice people here for something of similar value.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A well made butane will not leak fuel, and you don't need a see-though window to tell you when it's about to flame out.

In addition to other suggestions such as waiting a few seconds, hold the flame even further from the tobacco, so that just the superheated air past the tip ignites it.. That means you hold it away and draw the flame towards, but not on, the tobacco.

Best of luck and please post results if any,

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Before you give up the zippo try getting a butane tank for it:

View attachment 82792

I use this and I just noticed a product new to me. It's Odorized Butane Zippo fuel -- what the heck is the odor? Anyone use it to light their pipes? Would this be gross to use for a pipe?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Current Sobranie White. 10Russians, GH Balkan Mix, and sometimes, if the stars align just right, fresh Penzance.
Maybe SG Black XX, depending on how it hits you.

Status
Not open for further replies.