Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't even understand this whole relaxation thing. If the sun is shining, I never set down unless it is to drive or work at my bench. I am constantly go go go go. I work each day until I am either told to stop by my wife or I am just too tired to be precise. I have never ever wanted relaxation nor has it ever appealed to me in any way. WTF is so special about relaxing? Sounds like something lazy duffuses do.

Even when my wife makes me set down to watch a series or movie, I will sketch or draw or try to find something to be productive while the braindrain TV is on.

Relaxing to me is riding my bike, jogging (if I can), swimming, or something along those lines. I even hate going to bed. I have to force myself to sleep with strong tobaccos, and I can barely stay there past 4AM each morning. I have never slept late in my life, and do not see any appeal.

When i hear that tobacco is relaxing... I have absolutely no idea what you mean, unless you are talking about how too much nicotine makes you sleepy.

How the hell do you people get anything done, setting around doing nothing but smoking?
that's cause what you call work is what I call relaxing so who is lazy now?

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
Morganton, North Carolina
I am digging up this old thread because I don't feel like starting a new one as this is relevant.

I notice when I am in a bad mood it makes smoking much less enjoyable and more frustrating. I am still a newbie only being 3 or 4 months in but I do experience a feeling of frustration sometimes when I feel I didn't pack a bowl right and I feel like I wasted the baccy, or it's not tasting up to what I expect. Also I feel very overwhelmed with the choices of Tobacco's out there, and being so limited in finances to try them out, and a sense of being overwhelmed when I step in a brick and mortar store. Don't get me wrong bulk is very reasonable and mostly what I stick to.

The brick and mortar store is a little too high to buy tins from but I did get my first tin ever of HH Burley Flake there. I have ordered online and plan to again to get the more premium tins like Escudo which is half the price online as the store! Plus he had some McClellands and most of his tins have a few years of age on them. I get he has to make money though. It's just easier for me to choose online.

I do know what I like, though. It's good to know other smokers have the same feeling when they aren't in a good mood and the smoke suffers as a result.

These are just my thoughts so far, there is a learning curve and it really is an art unlike other forms of tobacco use. I guess it's part of the fun... The "ritual"!

Reactions: David D. Davidson

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Try some nice blends that are known to be easy to keep lit. Not too few pipe tobaccos out there are known to be a bit challenging to keep burning. Try Red Rapaaree or Father Dempsey and see how it goes.

Reactions: towhee89

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
Within the past few weeks or so, I have been 'treating' myself to a pipe occasionally as I finish some outdoor work. But maybe I've forgotten everything, maybe its something else, but I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

I dry out the leaf all morning, and still can't keep a pipe lit. I'm not getting any flavor at all, just burning. I'm either going too fast to keep it lit, burning my tongue, or going too slow and lighting again.

Doesn't matter the pipe I pick or the blend, its just frustrating that it completely negates the whole reason for smoking a pipe in the first place!

Anyone else have to start from scratch ever?
Maybe Bad packing? Try other Methods. I

peejhunt

Lurker
Aug 26, 2010
Greenup, Kentucky
I too recently started back with my pipes. the first pack was way off! I am still having to dump and repack occasionally, but it is getting more rare. You would think it would be like riding a bike. Maybe a helmet would help? ;)