Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Been ordering Fruitcakes from Collins Bakery in Texas for years, sending some to wife's relatives. This year got the Large Deluxe sliced and when I got it, big disappointment. Dry, uneven slices not at all what they used to send me. To be clear I usually order a Medium, first year for a large. Customer rep was nice but not overly nice and offered to send me another. Hung up and still was troubled so I called the Corporate office and was tossed around to Agents with me telling them I want The Boss. Finally I got her, told her my story and emphasized that I didn't want a free cake, I wanted her to know she had troubles in her shop. She admitted that the cutter was not sized for the large size, which I told her why not say slices will be uneven on the large. Silence, then I told her I knew her Comptroller was in jail for stealing 16 million dollars and was this the reason her Company was going in the shit chute Silence. We then had a frank discussion about that issue. Moral of this story it only takes 1 person to tear apart a fine Company. Top Tier managers sometimes doesn't get the unvarnished truth and damn their Fruit Cakes are the best . Thank you for letting me rant, I Love Fruitcake.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Time changes everything , nothing is the same. I see it every time I go shopping or order something on line. :puffy:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
tbradsim1:
I, too, love fruitcake, and can recommend the Texas Manor brand without reservation. They are available from a variety of sources, and here is a link (Texas Manor Fruitcake) to their page on yahoocake.com. I've enjoyed this brand since high school (our band sold them to raise money to fund various programs) days, and find it to be consistent year-to-year.
I hope that this information helps!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Twenty some years ago I got a wild hair and decided to make fruit cakes for all the family for Christmas, (NOT for the politically correct HOLIDAYS). It really isn't hard to do. Hardest part was finding all the ingredients, but find them I did. They were great eating too. There are a bazillion different recipes for fruitcake too. 8)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'll send ya mine brad. Of course it's about 30+ years old and I'm currently using it for a doorstop, but I'll manage without it.

Jun 4, 2014
One of the insurance company's we write for used to send us a Collins fruit cake every year. It must have cut into someones bottom line and they stopped. Sorry to hear they have gone down hill, I love their fruit cakes. We must have a half a dozen of their tin here in the office.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
for all the family for Christmas, (NOT for the politically correct HOLIDAYS).
If you and yours celebrate Christmas, more power to you. Those of us who celebrate other holidays, however, do not do so out of political correctness.
Never been that much of a fruitcake guy myself, either - more of a Danish Butter Cookie sort. But to each their own.
Brad - glad you were able to get your feedback to the appropriate person. It's one thing if a company produces gag-gift fruitcakes that are borderline inedible on purpose, but if they're selling the good stuff to those who appreciate it, it behooves them to pay attention to their product.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I love fruitcake but I have not had any for about a decade. I did get some lebkuchen this year.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Funny this post came up. I just told my wife I'm going to buy the ingredients and make a fruit cake. We both love fruit cake so it doesn't last long in our home.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I love fruit cake. Thought I was the only person who did...
Me too. My grandma was the only one in the family who liked fruitcake and she used to share it with me when I was little 40+ years ago. I used to make them myself and soak them in rum and bourbon to age but haven't made any in years. We have Claxton fruitcakes here in Georgia and while they're not the best I've had they are pretty good and I can usually pick them up on clearance after Christmas for almost nothing. I buy an armload of them every year after Christmas and freeze them to enjoy throughout the year. Fruitcake is one of my favorite things in the entire world.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Bradley,
More power to you for going after those fruitcakes. I happen to really like fruitcake, a fact that I have to hide lest I be ostracized from "polite" society here in SoCal.
Your story reminds me of something my mother did many years ago when she decided that the turkey that she had bought for Thanksgiving was unsuitable. Mom had bought a Butterball on the recommendation of a friend. Normally she bought Huntsinger, or Empire, but decided to give the Butterball a try. When she discovered that the turkey was full of fat and not a lot of meat, she brought it back to the store.

The store was closed, so, with the turkey tucked under one arm, she started banging on the door. The manager came to the door and told her that they were closed. Mom told him that the turkey was not good and that she wanted another one. The manager said sorry, the store is closed and walked back into the store. Mom started banging on the door again. Again, the manager came to the door and said that they were closed and that there was nothing he could do, and again he waked away.

So Mom continued to bang on their door shouting that she wanted a replacement. The manager came back, telling her to leave or he would call the police. Mom said fine, call the damned police. The owners will be very happy with the publicity that they get for arresting an 80 year old woman on Thanksgiving Day after selling her a bad turkey and refusing to replace it. Then she continued to hammer on the door while the manager stood there staring at her.

It finally dawned on him that she wasn't going to go away and he either had to make good his threat, or let her in. She went through the poultry department looking for a turkey that satisfied her while the manager and a bewildered butcher stood by. Great bird that year!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Bradley,
On your point of customer service and just not paying attention to their business, about 8 years ago when fast food restaurants all started coming out with their premium burgers, my wife & I stopped at one for a late lunch. I ordered their "thick burger" without all the slop that normally comes on it. I had eaten their thick burger a couple of times before and thought it was much better than the regular burger. When I unwrapped the 1st burger it had so much slop & condiments on it that the bun top would slide off. I sent it back and while I waited for the next thick burger I realized they had overcharged me, so I brought that to their attention and was told the Manager would be out shortly and take care of it.
The next burger came out to our table and when I unwrapped it to my surprise it was just a regular single burger, so I sent it back for a thick burger. The manager had still not made it to our table to discuss the overcharge either; I found out he was working the drive-thru window.
When the 3rd burger was ready it was hand carried out to our table by one of the kitchen grill-men and not the counter staff. He was all apologetic about his screw ups with the other 2 burgers, but when I looked up at the burger he carried wrapped in his hand I also noticed that his index finger was loosely wrapped in a rag that had his blood soaking thru from where he had obviously cut his finger earlier during his shift. That was the final straw anyway but I said something about it and he said they were short handed!
So that was it, my wife had finished her meal so I told her let's go. As we stood up to leave the manager seemed to notice & care for the first time. From the middle of the room I told him to just keep my money, that they obviously needed it more than I did and that I would never eat at one of their establishments ever again, and stormed out the door not giving him to say anything. I was hot!
Corporate office for the chain is in St. Louis, MO. I couldn't find a published phone number so I sent an email detailing our experience and the overcharge down to the penny. I told them that I didn't want anything from them and definitely did not plan on ever eating in one of their restaurants ever again. I really expected someone from Corporate to contact me or at least send a refund of my money. I never heard from anyone; about a week later in the mail I received a couple of serial numbered coupons for free meals on my next visit! I promptly ran their coupons thru my paper shredder and kept my promise of never doing business with them again! Unbelievable! Sorry for the long rant but it still pisses me off!

Status
Not open for further replies.