PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
For fruit that’s not in your face but clearly present (some have been mentioned)
Peterson University Flake
SG Firedance
Orlik Golden Sliced - love the citrus top note
Ken Byron Dark Fired Cherry - I really like this blend though the Cherry is not what you might expect. Definitely more scented than flavored but the sour note combined with the orientals and the sweetness of the cavendish - yum.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
For fruit that’s not in your face but clearly present (some have been mentioned)
Peterson University Flake
SG Firedance
Orlik Golden Sliced - love the citrus top note
Ken Byron Dark Fired Cherry - I really like this blend though the Cherry is not what you might expect. Definitely more scented than flavored but the sour note combined with the orientals and the sweetness of the cavendish - yum.
I should also add the Wilke Blood Reds - VA and English. Both are great with a blood orange top note.

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Ok, taste testing day has arrived...
I used four tiny German clay testers, bowl size almost thimble like.

Solani Mango:
Really nice tin aroma. I wasn't expecting this blend to be so burley heavy. Burns my nose, very acrid. Great aftertaste.
I'll have to try this further in some briars or cobs as it doesn't seem to lend itself to clay.

C&D Founding Fathers, Berry Good:
Two very round and balanced blends. Interesting fruit flavors. Two thumbs up for these.

C&D Peaches and Cream:
Crackle, sizzle, hiss.... Needs some dry time. A very creamy smoke. This was the only blend that reminded me of the Sutliff aromatics from my first round. A bit more body/complexity though with the C&D.

Overall, there's a huge difference between these and my first round Sutliff blends.
Sutliff seems to have casings/toppings that squash the tobacco taste a bit, which is fine for a lighter smoke.

More time and bowls needed to really get into these blends.
Thank you again for all the recommendations. Round three with those other remaining blends I have yet to purchase will probably spill over into Fall.

Come Winter, I purge myself with Orientals and Latakia...

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Next order, the one for your autumn tobaccos, toss in an ounce of Sutliff Apple. When properly dried and smoked, it's a definite apple taste that compliments (if not exactly matches) the pouch and room note. And it wasn't overly sweet.

Reactions: Bluemonter

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Next order, the one for your autumn tobaccos, toss in an ounce of Sutliff Apple. When properly dried and smoked, it's a definite apple taste that compliments (if not exactly matches) the pouch and room note. And it wasn't overly sweet.
Will do, thanks for the recommendation!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I liked the marula fruit Planta blend for its subtle use of the flavoring, definitely a tobacco forward aromatic, using the fruit flavoring to bring up the flavor of the quality base tobacco, a nuanced blend.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
1) Peretti “Tropical Fruit” is a nice, quality mix.
2) Uhle’s “Raider Blend“ is kind of strange one but, a fun smoke once in a while.
3) Country Squire “Parson’s Blend” is pretty good.

Edit: Peretti also has a Strawberry blend but, I haven’t tried it.

Reactions: Bluemonter