PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
First and foremost, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Holidays to you all. I have been busy with life, work and some new projects. So much so that I have avoided too much pipe related temptation and stayed away for my own sake. I've been smoking a lot of GQ tobacco Christmas blend of course, just trying to hold back the PAD/TAD for a bit. Anyways, I hope this finds you all well and enjoying both pipe and the season.
Last year there was discussion about some fruit cake and how this fruit cake would change your mind about the subject. If I remember correctly we had quite a few members who swore by said company. Would someone be so kind as to refresh my memory? To be honest, the whole discussion left me wanting to sample some. I've probably missed my window this year but there is always next... well, hope fully. :wink: :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I've been ordering a fruitcake from Collins Bakery in Texas for years, it's the best moist cake I've ever eaten. They have a website and you can order it presliced, well worth the money.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Excellent OC, thank you very much. I believe that was the one I was thinking of. I'm sure I could have google searched but I wanted to say hi, regardless. Hope you have a great Cajun Christmas.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I grew up only having the horrible fruit cake that no one likes, re-gifted year after year. I'm quite intrigued by the idea of good fruit cake. It's normal for something that was once tasty to turn into an over processed mess so it's not surprising the reputation has suffered but those Collin's cakes look delicious.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Amazon sells Collins also. Will have to try it, I normally buy the smallest piece of the regular one in the food store I can, just for tradition & eat a bite at a time.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
My Mom ordered me one for years at Christmas. After she died,my Dad picked up the tradition. That thing is wonderful. Than I came home work one August day just before my birthday and there was a package from Collins Street Bakery on my porch. My Dad had sent me a pecan pie. He did that every year until his death.
My older sister used to manage the credit union for the Culinary Institute of America. The students gave every one in the office the fruit cakes they made. Some how I ended up enough I had to freeze some. They were different from CSB, but still damn good.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Can vouch for Collins ST. My wife goes to their pineapple plantation in Monteverde every other year as part of her research. Top notch operation and a solid (literally) product. Her idiot, pansy of a brother complains abut the fruitcake purely on principle every Christmas and put her off ordering a cake this year.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I always want to try the Collins but last I looked they were $370. It sounds better when you realize it's only 37 cents per pound...
But honestly they are really good fruit cakes!

Dec 24, 2012
I always want to try the Collins but last I looked they were $370. It sounds better when you realize it's only 37 cents per pound...
But honestly they are really good fruit cakes!
Holy shit . . . are you telling me that you are buying a 1,000 pound fruitcake? Seriously?

Jun 4, 2014
One of the insurance company's we represent used to send us a Collins Bakery fruit cake every year. We still have a few of the empty tins at the office, now they send us an e-card! They are really good fruit cakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.