PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
loneredtree - thanks a lot, i wanted to try that so i'm glad that is a recommended method.
dhintonka - 48 hr soak in Barcardi 151 didn't help....... waste of good liquor.
Thanks to all for the help, if it frees i'll let you know.... :)

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I put in back in the vice, hit the dowel with a hammer for 5 min, thought i had no progress so i quit. Looked at it yesterday and i moved the end about 1/8th inch. I'm going to have time over the holiday to get it done.

I'll let you know what happens.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I have been able to separate rock solid fused parts of pipes putting them into coca cola. Same as with screws...

ouroboros

Lurker
Jun 6, 2012
This is my first post, I collect Kirstens, and yes they can be a real pain in the *** to take apart. This is what I do.
1- take the bowl out, usually the only easy part.

2- soak in hot water with a little soap for about 30 minutes, aluminum will expand more than the plastic (vulcanite for the older pipes) and the stem will go out easier, ad hot water every five to ten minutes to keep it hot but not hot enought to soften the stem. Anyway I usually need to use pliers, so I use a piece of leather to avoid damaging the stem.

3- soak the metal parts in thinner for two or three days, again this will make the Valve to go out easier but sometimes I need to use the pliers too, of course using the same piece of leather to protect it (leather is better than cloth for this).

4- clean everything, I use thinner first, then wash with lots of water and liquid soap, then alcohol and some more water.

5- polish with brasso.

6- usually I need to do the bleach treatment to the stem to remove oxidation, sand using 2000 grid sand paper, polish it using car wax and a dremel tool with the buffing accesorie and a bit of olive oil to finish.
I have an old and dirty kirsten waiting for this treatment, I'll take some pictures and post them.
Hope this helps.

ouroboros

Lurker
Jun 6, 2012
Oops, I forgot to say that I recomend this method for older kirsten only, I don't know if it will damage the anodized finish on the third generation models.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome ouroboros!

Please post some before during and afters as well.

This is a departure from what might be called the norm for "regular briar" pipes.

I realize these are quite different and will be very interesting.
Once again Welcome Aboard!

:puffy:

ouroboros

Lurker
Jun 6, 2012
Here we go, I'm taking apart a first generation Kirsten Model M pipe.
Some "BEFORE" pictures.
img00937201206101039.th.jpg

img00938201206101039.th.jpg

img00939201206101039.th.jpg

The pipe is in "normal" condition for pipe bought in eBay.

ouroboros

Lurker
Jun 6, 2012
Here you see the pipe swimming in hot water, to keep it hot add some hot water every five minutes, total time 30 minutes.
img00944201206101239.th.jpg

This time the mouthpiece went out really easy, it's just the second time (after 25 estate Kirstens) that I don't need to use pliers
img00946201206101256.th.jpg

A dirty mouthpiece.
img00947201206101258.th.jpg

The metal part swimming in thinner,
img00949201206101305.th.jpg

More pictures next wednesday, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.