PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
I'd expect Frosty Mint should blend with Dark Fired Kentucky pretty well.
The problem with Frosty Mint is that a side effect of the topping is an undertone of bitterness (In my notes it says I usually dump the last third), and it's already cloyingly sweet, if you blend down the Mint with another Aromatic you're just going to get ugly syrup.
A deep earthy tobacco might hide the bitterness and give you a better experience overall.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I said you could talk, nothing about being understood, lol.
Actually it was very understandable. Personally I hate to talk while smoking...a man's got to know his limitations lol.

I could do it if I really wanted to, but I find the talking detracts from the smoking enjoyment, and vice/versa. But then I've never been a multi-tasker.

All that said though, I definitely agree that if someone is going to create a video while pipe smoking they better be able to talk at the same time or else just put the damn pipe down until you're done talking.

Reactions: danimalia

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Actually it was very understandable. Personally I hate to talk while smoking...a man's got to know his limitations lol.

I could do it if I really wanted to, but I find the talking detracts from the smoking enjoyment, and vice/versa. But then I've never been a multi-tasker.

All that said though, I definitely agree that if someone is going to create a video while pipe smoking they better be able to talk at the same time or else just put the damn pipe down until you're done talking.
Precisely. I find it so irritating to watch someone just smoke for great lengths of time without saying anything. Yes, it is more difficult to enjoy the smoke and taste, but please, move the video on. LOL.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I'd expect Frosty Mint should blend with Dark Fired Kentucky pretty well.
The problem with Frosty Mint is that a side effect of the topping is an undertone of bitterness (In my notes it says I usually dump the last third), and it's already cloyingly sweet, if you blend down the Mint with another Aromatic you're just going to get ugly syrup.
A deep earthy tobacco might hide the bitterness and give you a better experience overall.

I did not find this to be the case, at all. I have blended Frosty Mint in three different blends that have two other aromatics in them and have no measurable syrup or bitterness. I've just about got my finished product ready, and its constituents include Frosty Mint, aromatic A, aromatic B, and aromatic C. Again, no bitterness or syrup. In fact, once finished, I'm going to scale it up to about 5-7 pounds it's so good.

Mar 1, 2014
I did not find this to be the case, at all. I have blended Frosty Mint in three different blends that have two other aromatics in them and have no measurable syrup or bitterness. I've just about got my finished product ready, and its constituents include Frosty Mint, aromatic A, aromatic B, and aromatic C. Again, no bitterness or syrup. In fact, once finished, I'm going to scale it up to about 5-7 pounds it's so good.
Good to hear.
Sounds like I need to run some experiments.

telescopes

The cigarette industry has understand the power of mint for decades. Southerners have used it to lace their finest bourbons in sugared juleps. What would tea or ice water be without it? Because it is so wonderful, the US government wants to take it away from the people by removing it from all tobacco. I see no real reason to mock its addition to pipe smoking and I look forward to learning about some proven blends that will wake me up to smell the leaves, so to speak. I’d like to thank @BarrelProof for kick starting the conversation with his gag bag of frosty mint to @BROBS . What started out as a joke might just change the world. I have only one last question, “How does one not know that they already have two pounds of frosty mint in their cellar? “

• Haha
Reactions: danimalia

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
The cigarette industry has understand the power of mint for decades. Southerners have used it to lace their finest bourbons in sugared juleps. What would tea or ice water be without it? Because it is so wonderful, the US government wants to take it away from the people by removing it from all tobacco. I see no real reason to mock its addition to pipe smoking and I look forward to learning about some proven blends that will wake me up to smell the leaves, so to speak. I’d like to thank @BarrelProof for kick starting the conversation with his gag bag of frosty mint to @BROBS . What started out as a joke might just change the world. I have only one last question, “How does one not know that they already have two pounds of frosty mint in their cellar? “

That’s only the tip of the iceberg of things that I don’t know.

I recently found an unopened box in my garage, opened it, and found a tin of McClelland’s 40th.

If you remove perpetual concern about the trivial from your life, not only will you become happier, you’ll also litter your existence with surprises.

Reactions: telescopes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my aromatics tobacco forward, so if there were mint in the offing, it would have to be just the slightest triangle chime in the symphony orchestra, if you will. Mint is a take-charge flavor and a little is a lot. Lingering menthol cigarette smell has to be one of the most depressing odors in the world.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I like my aromatics tobacco forward, so if there were mint in the offing, it would have to be just the slightest triangle chime in the symphony orchestra, if you will. Mint is a take-charge flavor and a little is a lot. Lingering menthol cigarette smell has to be one of the most depressing odors in the world.

But when used correctly, can really enhance a blend.

telescopes

Have you smoked it, yet?
Years ago, I had something similar. I enjoyed it blending it down into other tobaccos. I already know that I enjoy a taste of mint in my tobacco so it will be just a bit of experimentation of adding the mint to the three I've chosen, three that I am already familiar with. It arrives this week. Yah, I might be surprised negatively, but I doubt it.

telescopes

But when used correctly, can really enhance a blend.
I think this is where new school younger smokers can help contribute and add to the options. Dyed in the wool English Blenders, Vapers, etc, most likely wouldn't consider adulterating their cache with Frosty Mint. But, there is always a moment in history when Low Brow becomes the new High Brow.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Years ago, I had something similar. I enjoyed it blending it down into other tobaccos. I already know that I enjoy a taste of mint in my tobacco so it will be just a bit of experimentation of adding the mint to the three I've chosen, three that I am already familiar with. It arrives this week. Yah, I might be surprised negatively, but I doubt it.

I’m not positive there exists anything truly similar to Frosty Mint.

For science, get a cheap throw away pipe, I’m thinking a clay pipe or a < $5 cob, and have a small amount of the Frosty Mint on its own. Not only should you pay the price of admission, but it will definitely give you the respect you owe to it before mixing it. It’s not like the menthol flavors we’re used to, so understanding it before mixing it is sound advice, I think.

telescopes

I’m not positive there exists anything truly similar to Frosty Mint.

For science, get a cheap throw away pipe, I’m thinking a clay pipe or a < $5 cob, and have a small amount of the Frosty Mint on its own. Not only should you pay the price of admission, but it will definitely give you the respect you owe to it before mixing it. It’s not like the menthol flavors we’re used to, so understanding it before mixing it is sound advice, I think.
Yes, that is exactly what I plan to do. I have a cheap pipe I don't use and I thought I'd do exactly that and take the full monty.

Reactions: BarrelProof
Status
Not open for further replies.