PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Yup. I'm being serious. My wife enjoys smoking with me, but she prefers anything that isn't for the experienced pipe smoker. She use to smoke menthol cigarettes.

Mint has its place and can be fun. I understand that Frosty Mint is literally able to frost the smoker and from what I've read it does well as a mixer. So here is my question, "If you have purchased Frosty Mint and used it as a mixer, what blends worked best? What proportions have you found that allow the tobacco to contribute positively?"

That's the question.

I know there will be many people who have never used the tobacco who will want to chime in and take the train to a whole other station, but this is a serious inquiry.

Thx.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I've never had it, so this is just a guess, but how about a chocolate aromatic? Mint+Chocolate is a popular combination. Good luck. I hope you're able to come up with some appealing blends for her.

This. And add something else with a coffee note. Let that be your launchpad.

I bought a pound of frosty mint because I thought I’d love it. I hated it. Sent it to @BROBS as a gag gift in a trade we had. Found another 2oz bag of it later on in my cellar, and after all the negative press it had gotten after sending it to @BROBS, I decided to accept the challenge. I used that 2oz bags in 4-5 different home brews, and have since ordered another pound.

On its own, it’s like freebasing liquid nitrogen through an icicle pipe. However, when used in appropriate proportions, it can really contribute to making a nice smoke, assuming you’re willing to smoke aromatics and not opposed to them on principle alone.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

I bought a pound of frosty mint because I thought I’d love it. I hated it. Sent it to @BROBS as a gag gift in a trade we had. Found another 2oz bag of it later on in my cellar, and after all the negative press it had gotten after sending it to @BROBS, I decided to accept the challenge. I used that 2oz bags in 4-5 different home brews, and have since ordered another pound.

On its own, it’s like freebasing liquid nitrogen through an icicle pipe. However, when used in appropriate proportions, it can really contribute to making a nice smoke, assuming you’re willing to smoke aromatics and not opposed to them on principle alone.
That’s it. It’s going back

telescopes

I like the idea of mixing it with chocolate. I am thinking lacing some toasted Cavendish tobacco blends would work nicely as well. It was the discussion you referred me to that got me thinking about it. On tobacco reviews, quite a few people discussed using it as a mixer. My curiosity is what proportions: 2:14 or maybe 4:12? What worked for you?

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I like the idea of mixing it with chocolate. I am thinking lacing some toasted Cavendish tobacco blends would work nicely as well. It was the discussion you referred me to that got me thinking about it. On tobacco reviews, quite a few people discussed using it as a mixer. My curiosity is what proportions: 2:14 or maybe 4:12? What worked for you?

1:7 is pretty good. I’d start there and adjust accordingly. The coolness is in the background at that point, and it wouldn’t be too difficult to go in either direction.

Whatever you do, start small. No sense in ruining more tobacco than you’re comfortable with because there’s no turning back once you’ve added it.

I think the first batches I did were 40g total, with 5g of Frosty Mint in each of them. You definitely notice it at that small concentration, so if you aren’t a big fan of mint, maybe start a little lower and work your way up. If you like mint, maybe start a little heavier. I’ve settled on 1:3 for the time being, and now I’m playing with different concentrations of the other tobaccos, as well as different tobaccos, to try to find the sweet spot.

It’s important to pay attention to your blending tobacco, as well. If you blend it with tobacco that has a subtler flavor, the Frosty Mint will be more pronounced and you’ll require less of it to achieve the same goal. That’s the basis of my “start small” recommendation.

telescopes

Okay. I ordered 7 oz each of Lane 1Q, BCA, and Sutliff Dark Chocolate. I'll add an ounce of Frosty Mint to each mixture and jar them. With a 1:7 ratio, the mint should be at the right level to add a 'Kool' factor to each of the blends. I also ordered a pound of the Nightcap Match for using as an alternative to something else I am doing - the mint certainly isn't for that mixture.

Now I am wondering what a bit of mint could do for Virginia Slices?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Okay. I ordered 7 oz each of Lane 1Q, BCA, and Sutliff Dark Chocolate. I'll add an ounce of Frosty Mint to each mixture and jar them. With a 1:7 ratio, the mint should be at the right level to add a 'Kool' factor to each of the blends. I also ordered a pound of the Nightcap Match for using as an alternative to something else I am doing - the mint certainly isn't for that mixture.

Now I am wondering what a bit of mint could do for Virginia Slices?
I hope you'll let us know the results. I always enjoy hearing about peoples' home blends, and Frosty Mint is like a huge wild card thrown into equation... The results will likely be insane, but good insane or bad insane is TBD. ?

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I had fairly decent results mixing like 1/4 of an ounce of frosty mint with 2 oz of Sutliff Hot Chocolate and 2 oz of whatever the plain Sutliff ribbon cut Burley is. I jarred it up and let it sit a few months, and I kinda dug it. I'm going to revisit it later this year.

telescopes

I had fairly decent results mixing like 1/4 of an ounce of frosty mint with 2 oz of Sutliff Hot Chocolate and 2 oz of whatever the plain Sutliff ribbon cut Burley is. I jarred it up and let it sit a few months, and I kinda dug it. I'm going to revisit it later this year.
I am wondering how aging impacts the tobacco. My thought is a 1:7 ratio is probably golden in that it gives a half pound to age where the mint will present itself without overwhelming the rest of the tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.