PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MrSleepy

Lurker
Aug 4, 2022
New Zealand
Title edited for caps. Generally it's better to find the similar thread and post there.

Hi there i made another post but i think it might be in the wrong place, anyway i was wondering if anyone from New Zealand had any tips on how they get pipe tobacco? i cant imagine people are actually paying $159 for 50g...if you have any tips on what site to use for importing or maybe even how i could use this site to get tobacco would be very welcome, i await your messages with excitement!

Last edited by a moderator:

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Hi there i made another post but i think it might be in the wrong place, anyway i was wondering if anyone from New Zealand had any tips on how they get pipe tobacco? i cant imagine people are actually paying $159 for 50g...if you have any tips on what site to use for importing or maybe even how i could use this site to get tobacco would be very welcome, i await your messages with excitement!
Just curious... is the problem with taxes or import tariffs? puffy

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just curious... is the problem with taxes or import tariffs? puffy
They don’t want people to smoke period, lots of taxes and they are banning a lot of tobaccos as well, the indigenous ppl have a lot of health issues because they choose to smoke, so only makes sense to keep everyone from smoking. ? at least that’s the 50,000 foot view, then again this is the country that just locked down because of one COVID case.

• Wow
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

MrSleepy

Lurker
Aug 4, 2022
New Zealand
They don’t want people to smoke period, lots of taxes and they are banning a lot of tobaccos as well, the indigenous ppl have a lot of health issues because they choose to smoke, so only makes sense to keep everyone from smoking. ? at least that’s the 50,000 foot view, then again this is the country that just locked down because of one COVID case.
Yea sadly we have a very silly MP and she loves to be in the spot light.
Our country is super peaceful and doesnt have any huge threats or wars but shes really asking for it by getting
involved with big world problems. Just recently shes changed alot of laws on speeding because a few people crashed in a 80km zone....she wants to lower 80 zones to 50-60 and make New Zealand death free from crashes and such by 2025, while also banning smoking and outlawing it by 2025 as well...

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Yea sadly we have a very silly MP and she loves to be in the spot light.
Our country is super peaceful and doesnt have any huge threats or wars but shes really asking for it by getting
involved with big world problems. Just recently shes changed alot of laws on speeding because a few people crashed in a 80km zone....she wants to lower 80 zones to 50-60 and make New Zealand death free from crashes and such by 2025, while also banning smoking and outlawing it by 2025 as well...
From what I have seen I always thought NZ would be a great place to live, but if I can't smoke my pipe, I think I'll stay in the good old USA. You have my sympathy. puffy

MrSleepy

Lurker
Aug 4, 2022
New Zealand
Just thinking, are you new to pipe smoking entirely?
Do have any preferences to tobacco blends or leaf varieties etc, or you starting from scratch?
complete new to pipe smoking but not to smoking in general.
I think id enjoy both rich and smooth...smooth coffee flavor for the morning, then maybe a rich fruit at night?
not really sure how flavors work in tobacco, are they just slight flavor notes or is it quite prominent?

MrSleepy

Lurker
Aug 4, 2022
New Zealand
From what I have seen I always thought NZ would be a great place to live, but if I can't smoke my pipe, I think I'll stay in the good old USA. You have my sympathy. puffy
Yea dont get me wrong its a great place to live but there some things ill never enjoy here, mostly laws being put in place by Jacinda (our MP)

Reactions: Brendan

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Hmm not sure what to recommend..
What have you smoked previously, just cigarettes or RYO ?

Knowing what brands you have smoked might help with steering you towards either Virginia, Burley, or both VaBur blends etc.

Probably stick with ribbon cut but wouldn't hurt to have a tin of Flake cut tobacco to try. You can rub it out to ribbons anyway.

The casing or toppings they use may not be apparent early on until you have your technique down and your palate gets accustomed etc.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
HI Mr Sleepy, to be completely honest, you should have woken up 3 years ago at the very latest if you wanted to acquire pipe tobacco in NZ easily.

MrSleepy

Lurker
Aug 4, 2022
New Zealand
Hmm not sure what to recommend..
What have you smoked previously, just cigarettes or RYO ?

Knowing what brands you have smoked might help with steering you towards either Virginia, Burley, or both VaBur blends etc.

Probably stick with ribbon cut but wouldn't hurt to have a tin of Flake cut tobacco to try. You can rub it out to ribbons anyway.

The casing or toppings they use may not be apparent early on until you have your technique down and your palate gets accustomed etc.
Iv just smoked cigarettes and not the best ones at that to be honest, mostly pall mall and b&h.
Its all good ill just order what sounds good and see what happens, thanks for the help!

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Iv just smoked cigarettes and not the best ones at that to be honest, mostly pall mall and b&h.
Its all good ill just order what sounds good and see what happens, thanks for the help!

No worries - that's half the fun, trying something new, don't know what you will fall in love with until you do.
There is plenty of useful information out there in the forums and the members here are really helpful in regards to recommendations etc.
Who knows, you may fall in love with Latakia, orientals etc.
I'm sure you'll get alot more useful info once most of the members are awake and online lol, also worth checking out tobaccoreviews.com and looking up our fellow forum member jiminks for his impartial and extremely detailed tasting notes.

Reactions: MrSleepy

MrSleepy

Lurker
Aug 4, 2022
New Zealand
No worries - that's half the fun, trying something new, don't know what you will fall in love with until you do.
There is plenty of useful information out there in the forums and the members here are really helpful in regards to recommendations etc.
Who knows, you may fall in love with Latakia, orientals etc.
I'm sure you'll get alot more useful info once most of the members are awake and online lol, also worth checking out tobaccoreviews.com and looking up our fellow forum member jiminks for his impartial and extremely detailed tasting notes.
Sounds like a plan ill have to look at jiminks then :) thanks again

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Yea dont get me wrong its a great place to live but there some things ill never enjoy here, mostly laws being put in place by Jacinda (our MP)
I'm no expert in politics but it seems to me what you need to do is organize all the pipe smokers in the country. Create a voting block and find an advocate with political power. Then try to get the law changed to exempt pipe tobacco. Pipe smoking is not the problem, it's those damn cigarettes. puffy

MrSleepy

Lurker
Aug 4, 2022
New Zealand
I'm no expert in politics but it seems to me what you need to do is organize all the pipe smokers in the country. Create a voting block and find an advocate with political power. Then try to get the law changed to exempt pipe tobacco. Pipe smoking is not the problem, it's those damn cigarettes. puffy
Funny you say that because we used to have that exact law, where pipe tobacco wasnt seen in the same like but since 2021 they made it just the same as those dam cigs

Reactions: jpmcwjr

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Sh
es seen too man of those utopian movies with the perfect society and everyone wearing white and obeying the rules without question, without the understanding that those are actually dystopian societies for everyone not in power.

back on track have you tried that local rope tobacco? I hear that’s easier to get on Facebook and places, while not the best it is tobacco.