PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
I find these two blends to be awfully similar. Am I way off on this? Anyone else feel the same?

I find FMC to taste best about 1/2 through the bowl. The blend to me is a mellow sweetness that leaves a bitter aftertaste. Dare I say a tad chemical flavor?

I found the Peterson’s EMP to have a similar sweetness that is complemented by a mildly bold upfront flavor. The sweet aftertaste was delicious, almost a hint of maple syrup. The EMP was lovely after the true light and built its flavor throughout the bowl.

I do like both of these blends very much but was struck at how similar they tasted in my opinion.

My initial impression leaves EMP the winner though these are very similar in my opinion.

Does anyone else find these blends to have a very similar taste?

What blend do you prefer?

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
They were always different to me. I haven’t tried the Peterson EMP yet, only the Dunhill tins. Frog Morton Cellar is a crossover English/Aro blend just like all of the Frogs.

Reactions: dcon

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I would call them nothing alike. EMP is swimming in orietals, turkish is pronounced, and a little latakia. FMC is incredibly sweet and has the whisky overtone throughout, and I guess a whisper of latakia. So that smoky note is really the only overlap in the palate for me.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
A close approximation of FMC is to soak some small charred oak chunks in your favorite whiskey, let it dry enough that it isn't soaking wet, place in a large mylar bag or one of the largest ball jars to which you add 1 pound of Sutliff aromatic English or better, Country squire hunting creek, let it sit for a few weeks, enjoy.

Reactions: uzzi101

Etipton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 24, 2021
Tennessee
Frog cellar all the way for me but I am partial to liquor flavors, cellar also has many other subtle flavors and EMP to me is very mild and almost tasteless

Reactions: rushx9

Stompthroat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Maryland
I have a tin of FMC, but never tried it. Frog Morton (on a log? original was great!!) I did get a tin of EMP because of the rave reviews. I just don't care for it compared to others.

Reactions: rushx9 and uzzi101

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Frog Cellar came with a block of whiskey cask in the tin, so it seems like a different animal to me, but I haven't tried EMP, so can't say. Frog Cellar was one of my all-time favorites, but luckily I have a few, not all discontinued.

Reactions: uzzi101
Status
Not open for further replies.