PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
FMC was a best seller in 2017 according to SP website and topped many a best of lists. It happens to be also a favourite of mine, and I quit pipe smoking just at the wrong time - didnt save any for later. Are any blenders working on a FMC match?

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I haven't heard of any such project. It's my understanding that there's a twofold problem in recreating McClelland blends. The tobaccos other blenders use would be different, and on top of that the McClelland processing of tobacco and blends is pretty unique and time consuming I think. I'd be surprised if there was a match that did FMC justice I'm sorry to say. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Reactions: catholdings

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Also check out Boswell's Northwoods. Derek Tant (of the YTPC community) did a series on the FMC "replacement project". Might find some good ideas there as well.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
It's doubtful that any blenders will be working on matches for any tobaccos. They would be considered new blends, and we have been restricted by the FDA Deeming Regulations from creating new blends since 8/8/16 unless they want to submit the blends for testing and approval, which would be expensive. Even after testing, there's no guarantee that the FDA would approve the tobaccos.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For Frog Morton Cellar nostalgia, I don't even try duplicating the McClelland experience. Whatever you like in a whiskey aromatic might recall a little of the experience. Boy, Russ spells it out. It looks grim. I admit I'm aging a few tins of McClelland for future enjoyment, but no FMC.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
FDA sounds a lot like contrary to free market principles. If there is a huge demand for a legal good the government should not impede someone supplying it. The demand is sky high, sales from 2017 show that.
The part about new blends is a bit ambiguous, there have been many new blends, such as HH Balkan from macbaren just now released.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
For me, the overwhelming flavor I get from FMC is vanilla. I do enjoy a bowl here and there. I have about a half pound left. If you miss Cellar, look for something with similar components and vanilla topping.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
They would be considered new blends, and we have been restricted by the FDA Deeming Regulations from creating new blends since 8/8/16

I thought it was 2007. Has that changed?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I thought it was 2007. Has that changed?
It hasn't changed. All blends continuously on the US market since before the Predicate date of February 15th 2007 are grandfathered in. For now.
Blends introduced into the US market after February 15th 2007, but PRIOR to the cutoff date of 8/8/2016, may continue to be offered for sale, but need to undergo either the Substantial Equivalency process or the Deeming process in order to remain available for sale after 8/8/21. Blends that do not pass either the SE of Deeming process must be removed the market after 8/8/2021.
Blends introduced into the US market after the cutoff date of 8/8/2016 must go through the SE or Deeming process before they can be offered for sale.
As for those blends that appeared to be offered to the US market after the cutoff date of 8/8/16? There were a couple of workarounds, like recording a sale of that blend prior to 8/8/2016, even if it wasn't yet on the shelf. But mostly they're just old blends in new packaging, figuring that most of you won't know the difference. The process required to create and market an actually new blend are now potentially way too expensive to justify such an undertaking.
FDA sounds a lot like contrary to free market principles.
That would be true if such a thing as a free market ever existed in the history of the earth. It's a popular myth, like the moon being made of green cheese, or tulips being a sound investment.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
For me, the overwhelming flavor I get from FMC is vanilla. ..... If you miss Cellar, look for something with similar components and vanilla topping.
I had a similar experience with Peter Stokkebye's Highland Whiskey. I've not tried FMC yet, so I can't comment there. My be worth a try, though, as PS stuff is inexpensive and available.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.