Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Good morning folks.
Last night marked another meeting of the Lakeshore Smokestacks and, as always, we had another new tin of tobacco to share with club members. It has been exceedingly hot here, in and around Toronto, with temperatures in the 90s and upwards. So last night we decided to try something lighter in the pipes. This tobacco was a delightful surprise, and received thumbs up from all the club members who tried it.
To the review!
Tobacco: Red Virginia
Flavouring: None noted
Cut/Style: Cut Plug/Flake
Aroma: Lemon, apricot, light brown sugar
Drying: The flakes were malleable on opening the tin, but were not wet. I elected to let the tin stand open for 15 minutes before prepping.
Pipe: My gigantic S. Yanik figural meerschaum pipe.
Prep: Two flakes, rubbed out and then followed this process: 3 step stuff, final pre-light draw is stiff, like drawing on a milkshake with the top of the tobacco resting about 1/8" from the top of the bowl.
Charring light: This tobacco really took to the flame, and fluffed up nicely on the charring light. Nice fruit sweet aromas on the retrohale, and good volume of smoke produced.
True light through first third: I found this tobacco exceedingly easy to keep lit, and that it produced wonderful quantities of light and sweet smoke.
Second third: Smoke consistency is maintained, some of the deeper sweet notes began to open up with browning sugar and a buttery sweetness becoming present.
Bottom third: The sweet character continued to deepen, with lighter citrus notes giving way to more stewed fruit notes and evolved brown sugar sweetness.
I really enjoyed this smoke. So did the other guys who tried it. I was the only person who rubbed out the flake. The other guys all used the fold and stuff method. They reported flavours and aromas that were similar to what I found but, if anything, their smokes moved into the deeper and fuller stewed fruit and brown sugar notes faster than mine did.
Regardless, I found this flake to be of high quality, and really enjoyed the smoke. I will be bringing in some tins to cellar.

If you're still reading, I wanted to learn a little more about F&T so found my way to the entry on this venerable shop on pipedia. It is definitely worth reading. The shop opened in 1720... Gents and ladies, that's 56 years before the U.S. declared independence. http://pipedia.org/wiki/Fribourg_%26_Treyer

-- Pat

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Nice review - thanks!

I can only add to the praise for Fribourg & Treyer Cut Blended Plug - extremely high quality delicious stuff.

I hope such great reviews like this doesn't turn it into the next impossible-to-find pipe tobacco!!!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
F&T makes good flakes,there is no doubt about it. I have not tried this one though, something else for the next TAD order. Thanks for the review Pat.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Great review. Never tried any of there tobacco but just ordered 2 tins of both the blended plug and the virginia from 4noggins with my pax sampler. Can't wait to try them all.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the comments gang. I was surprised by this tobacco. I am looking forward to trying it prepped in a different method.
-- Pat

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I took this recommendation and ordered a tin. Just had my first bowl. One thing I love about F&T flakes is that they are the perfect moisture right out of the tin. I only had to light this bowl once to get her going. The tobacco is not complex just a nice sweet smoke but the flavor does build deeper into the bowl. Also it has a nice strong N hit. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am now very relaxed. Just what the doctor ordered. Thanks again for the review Pat.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Dave, I'm glad to hear that the cut-plug fit the bill; it sounds like you had a pleasant first smoke of this 'baccy.
I've been travelling for work, with no time to have a sit-down and a smoke, so I'm looking forward to getting home and seeing how this flake delivers when I cube cut it. The guys who tried this plug found it more flavourful on a fold and twist or cube cut prep, versus rubbing it out.
How'd you prep it Dave?
Thanks for the kind words on the review, lads.
-- Pat

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I rubbed it out as the pipe I was using is shallow. Next time I will roll and stuff and see what I think. Cut Virginia Plug also has a fuller flavor if that is possible with the roll and stuff method and the flakes from F&T are the perfect size for that method. And so easy to light as I've said. I have also had Black Jack and Vintage Flake.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I got my tins of this and cut viriginai plug from 4noggins. I am alwaysa reading how tobaccos are ready right out of the tin and I usually think they are feeding me a line, like how they get pure ash to the bottom. But other than letting it air for a few minutes, this stuff actually smokes great right out of the tin. I really enjoy that light sweetness/brown sugary goodness. I was able to really get in the zone for this one. Thanks alot for the recommendation.

P

pipebuddy

Excellent review, thank you for taking the time to share your impressions on this tobacco. How is it doing on the vitamine N level?
I think I will get some of it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Dave, thanks for clarifying the prep. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think after you fold 'n stuff.
How is it doing on the vitamine N level?
A couple of the guys thought it had a goodly amount of nicotine. I noticed the nicotine, but didn't find that it made my head swim like Bold Kentucky. I'm not much of a barometer, however, as I smoke so little as to be sensitive to nicotine at almost any level.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.