Freyborg and Treyer Cut Virginia Plug. Best Straight VA Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
I opened a tin of F&T Cut VA Plug the other day and I think I've finally found something to give Mac Baren a run for their money.

The tin note was reminiscent of wine, red and hearty. The flakes are nearly twice the width of a Mac Baren flake, mostly dark in colour with plenty of variant flecks. Moisture level did require some adjustment prior to smoking, but that is normal for flake cuts. I smoked this first in my vaunted Lumberman pipe and then in a freshly cleaned cob. Both times the normal sweetness you'd expect from a straight VA was rather muted in contrast to the tea and cream taste. This is a VA that offers a bold tobacco profile with the other flavours adding only complexity. Unlike say, Sutliff VA Slices where the natural sweetness of the leaf is brought to the forefront, somehow F&T have kept it in a supporting role to the robust tobacco flavor. If I didn't know any better I'd say there was some Burley in here but there isn't. Just an expert blend of Virginia's! The nose feel of this blend is rather heavy, you know you're retrohaling a VA for sure when you do it. Tangy notes of grass and honey with the ever present tea and cream sensation. Mild to moderate nose bite, despite the full flavour. Nicotine level is moderate or perhaps a touch above for those who didn't poison themselves with cigarettes for most of their life. I did, so my tolerance is much higher than most, though I do sense it falling off as I get older and further away from my quit date of US Thanksgiving of last year.

Smoking F&T Cut VA Plug is like a chilly morning on the porch in your favorite chair with a fresh hot cup of, yes - tea and cream, with only a bit of sugar. A robust tobacco for a pleasing smoke to be enjoyed at almost any time of day. I'd call it an all day smoke but this is one blend you really want to savour. I highly suggest stocking up on this blend if and when the opportunity arises. I've been chasing the straight VA for awhile now and can honestly say that this is the best one I've tried yet.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
As is the case with many blends, CVP can be rather bland smoked fresh. Too wet as well which also leads to it being bland. I open tins of CVP for at least 3 to 5 days before I start smoking, sometimes longer.

With a few years of age, this blend is about as smooth as a Virginia can get. If I had to choose one Virginia Flake as an all day smoke, it would be this one. Sweet, but not too sweet flavors with a reasonable amount of complexity. Mild but decent body and after a few years of age, almost zero rough edges.

This blend obviously has a big fan base, it sells out quickly when it comes up for sale at the major retailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.