PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There are too many variables to give a single answer. How the thirty year tin was stored, if it held its seal, local temperature, humidity, type of tobacco, etc.
^^^^ absolutely

30 years is a long time for a tobacco blend

Is it the exact same blend
ie identical tobacco used ?

A change in manufacturers often results in a change component tobaccos or a change in the process

Weather conditions (wet vs hot, dry years) will affect the tobacco crop albeit not to the same extent as wine.

There will be age-related changes - hopefully for the better, but not necessarily so.

There are numerous threads asking this same question - is the current iteration (of a blend) similar to the “older” version ?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Is there a difference ?
Yes
what are the differences?
In general, an older blend will mellow over time, and lose any rough edges that a younger blend will have.

This of course depends on the components of the blend. Burleys won’t change much. Orientals, Perique and Latakia usually lose some of their flavor. Virginias tend to get sweeter and have less bite.

While a little time on a blend is usually beneficial, decades will usually see some degree of degradation in the flavor and quality of the leaf. This can vary widely depending on the storage conditions of the tin (temperature, humidity).

A tin stored in my attic subjected to 130F to -20F temp swings with 70F to 5F dew points compared to my basement which swings from m about 58F to 70F and 30-35% humidity year round is not going to hold up.

As long as they’re sealed well and not loosing moisture the tobacco will remain smokeable. The flavor of the tobacco is normally optimal in the 5-15 year old range.

Aromatics are about the same as far as the timeline. I vacuum seal all my bulk aros in Mason Jars for long term storage.

Thete are lots of opinions on the storage of tobacco and the benefits/detriments of said storage.

Soundpostus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Northern California
Great inputs and insights. Gentlemen. Thanks a lot.
I am new in pipe tobacco. Learning.
Considering stocking up two un-opened McClelland Frog Morton 50g, 1977-1997.
Is this a smart move?

Last edited:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Poorly worded questions are hard to answer. It depends on the type of tobacco you are storing, the plethora of conditions you are storing them under, your ability to control the temperature and the moisture in room, etc. As for the new tin versus a 30 year old tin the answer is the same.
As for the Frog Morton good luck getting a 45 year old tin. They didn't make it until some time in the 90's.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Great inputs and insights. Gentlemen. Thanks a lot.
I am new in pipe tobacco. Learning.
Considering stocking up two un-opened McClelland Frog Morton 50g, 1977-1997.
Is this a smart move?
Because you are new to pipe smoking, I'd say no. The money it will likely cost you to buy those two tins could be much better spent on new tobacco that will at least have a guarantee of quality, and can be returned if there's an issue. Old tins are a gamble, and there's no guarantee you'll even like 30 year old Frog Morton.

Soundpostus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Northern California
watched Muttnchop Piper‘s video:
We conducted an experiment by comparing a fresh tin of pipe tobacco
with an aged tin of tobacco.
Does it Really make Enough of difference to warrant the Trouble? Let's find out!
“Is Cellaring Pipe Tobacco Really Worth The Trouble? - Part 1”

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been smoking through a few of my 1997,1998 and 2005 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky tins and every single one has been perfect. The tobacco is in perfect condition. The perfect amount of moisture and the flavors are just fantastic. These are 100 gram tins and every seal has been perfect. I keep my tobacco at 74 degrees year round and have a whole house dehumidifier so I never worry about big temp or humidity swings which can be a serious issue.

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
This is a slight departure, but I’ve been storing all of the blends I intend to cellar for years in big Coleman coolers. There are so many variables and what ifs when it comes to long term storage, however I’m hoping this will provide some consistency. For those of us that intend to smoke what we are cellaring now in 30-40 years this may be more important with lack of availability surely coming before then.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
As many will tell you, it just depends on the type of tabac, some age great, others not so great.

Are you stocking up on the Frog Morton, or only stocking two tins? Only putting away two tins, sure, why not.

BUT, when you get the time, try and buy some aged blends off the forum so you can sample, and see for yourself.

Reactions: Soundpostus

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
watched Muttnchop Piper‘s video:
We conducted an experiment by comparing a fresh tin of pipe tobacco
with an aged tin of tobacco.
Does it Really make Enough of difference to warrant the Trouble? Let's find out!
“Is Cellaring Pipe Tobacco Really Worth The Trouble? - Part 1”
The main reason I cellared was to continue to be able to smoke blends I enjoy and to pay less for them. Aging is a tertiary consideration. The best marques sell tobaccos that are already aged before release so that they're ready to be enjoyed upon release. Further aging may alter the balance away from the blenders' intent.

Aging changes blends. Whether that change amounts to an improvement is up to the individual smoker to decide.

There are blends that I prefer fresh, like McClelland 2015. But it's 4 years since McClelland closed up shop so I don't have access to fresh 2015. Aged 2015 is better than no 2015.

And as has been pointed out, blends change when they are taken over by a different company, or there are substitutions in the components because certain growers have moved on to different crops, or blenders decide to substitute cheaper grades to keep costs down.

Then there's the issue of blends disappearing without warning. Sometimes they come back as mediocre versions of their former selves.

If you encounter a blend that you really enjoy, stock up on it. The next drop might might not be as pleasing. How it will do down the road is an unknown.

One thing I no longer do is spend a lot of money on an extinct blend. Too many disappointments. I'll leave that mistake for others to make. As it is, I'm quite content with what's on the shelves. It may not be Garfinkel's, but I don't need it to be Garfinkel's. Besides, what's in that old tin won't be what I enjoyed decades ago.

Soundpostus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Northern California
The main reason I cellared was to continue to be able to smoke blends I enjoy and to pay less for them. Aging is a tertiary consideration. The best marques sell tobaccos that are already aged before release so that they're ready to be enjoyed upon release. Further aging may alter the balance away from the blenders' intent.

Aging changes blends. Whether that change amounts to an improvement is up to the individual smoker to decide.

There are blends that I prefer fresh, like McClelland 2015. But it's 4 years since McClelland closed up shop so I don't have access to fresh 2015. Aged 2015 is better than no 2015.

And as has been pointed out, blends change when they are taken over by a different company, or there are substitutions in the components because certain growers have moved on to different crops, or blenders decide to substitute cheaper grades to keep costs down.

Then there's the issue of blends disappearing without warning. Sometimes they come back as mediocre versions of their former selves.

If you encounter a blend that you really enjoy, stock up on it. The next drop might might not be as pleasing. How it will do down the road is an unknown.

One thing I no longer do is spend a lot of money on an extinct blend. Too many disappointments. I'll leave that mistake for others to make. As it is, I'm quite content with what's on the shelves. It may not be Garfinkel's, but I don't need it to be Garfinkel's. Besides, what's in that old tin won't be what I enjoyed decades ago.
Outstanding Insights. BIG Thanks.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I’ve been storing all of the blends I intend to cellar for years in big Coleman coolers
Glad to hear you've been doing this for years and it's working for you, because I just recently starting using Coleman coolers and hadn't heard of anyone else doing this. They seal quite well and insulate also.

Reactions: jackets

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Glad to hear you've been doing this for years and it's working for you, because I just recently starting using Coleman coolers and hadn't heard of anyone else doing this. They seal quite well and insulate also.
I store my tobacco in a Coleman cooler too...I only got one the biggest they make and it will last me for likely 8-10 years

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Biggest difference is 30 years. Your question is a bit too vague and even with more information it would be difficult to provide many specifics. 30 yards is a long time for the integrity of a tin to last. And different blends age differently. I think I'd be more concerned about the differences from 0 to 10 years and increments in between.