PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Hi Briar Bros, I've a chance to head to Paris this winter and I'm wondering about pipe makers there. I know about Pipe du Nord, and of course Saint Claude (which is way too far from Paris for a quick trip) but are there other makers, or even great shops, within a couple of hours (by train) from Paris?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bet the pipe shops in the city have all you could ask in terms of buying pipes, and since French pipes in general are way above their prices in quality, I would expect prices would be excellent. The French were first to make commercial quantities of pipe in briar, and many of their shapes are what are now thought of as English classics. I'd research the best pipe shops in Paris and save the time hauling into the provinces. Besides, just looking for the pipe shops would be an adventure; Paris is among the best walking cities in the world. In the winter months, dress for the cold.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
When I was in Paris in 2018 I visited Pipe du Nord and purchased these three pipes. Each pipe is numbered and there's only 150 pipes of each commemorating the shops 150th anniversary.
20180921_142922.jpg
The owner (can't remember her name) was great...very friendly and she smokes a pipe too. If you go, take lots of pictures.

20180913_125535.jpg

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Was at PdN in 2016 and picked up a tiny pipe. Had a bit of an awkward time there...but also, je non parle pas Francais. That didn't help. I'll give it another shot. Read up on l'Orientale but wow, seems a bit...kind of weird and more awkward. La Civette was fun, bought a BC from them, good smoker, but in touristy area and pricy. I need to just figure out how to fly into Geneva, hire a car, drive it the hour up the mountains, and do the Saint Claude trip. Someday...

Reactions: chopper and scloyd

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Was at PdN in 2016 and picked up a tiny pipe. Had a bit of an awkward time there...but also, je non parle pas Francais. That didn't help. I'll give it another shot. Read up on l'Orientale but wow, seems a bit...kind of weird and more awkward. La Civette was fun, bought a BC from them, good smoker, but in touristy area and pricy. I need to just figure out how to fly into Geneva, hire a car, drive it the hour up the mountains, and do the Saint Claude trip. Someday...
Or fly to Milan and drive overnight, sleeping in a truck stop and wake up in Jura with fresh croissants and golden wine. That’s how I celebrated my birthday in 2014