PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
With most of the blends I enjoy one is encouraged to sip to avoid tongue bit or over heating the pipe.

It made me think what tobacco should I try if I wanted to smoke like a freight train as the saying goes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Not any, I should think. The idea is to have the heat of the ember create and release tasty organic resins and volatiles before the leaf is consumed in the combustion zone. You may find Neill Archer Roan's article, The Thermodynamics of Pipe-Smoking, an edifying read.
That said, certainly flake and cube cut tobaccos can withstand more vigorous drafts, such as are encountered in outdoor smoking, which is the naturally occurring version of what you proposed.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I have found that with "Star of the East" I have to pace myself. I tend to mindlessly puff harder than I should. I really like that stuff.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
That's an interesting article. I've always been partial to using matches when lighting my pipes, but my experience level with pipe smoking is rather limited,. I just thought that it was due to my ability to better control the flame and not burn my pipes. As it turns out, my tobacco may also taste better with matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.