PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In 2013 I published a limited edition high quality facsimile of a hitherto unknown and unsuspected Barling catalog ca. 1914. My purpose in doing so was to keep this information from disappearing and to spread it to people interested in the history of Old Britwood. A considerable amount of money, not to mention 150 hours of exceedingly exact digital restoration work, went into the effort. I made my costs back before selling the printing rights. A profit center it was not, nor was it intended to be.

Since then, a Chinese site has published scans of it, in violation of international copyright laws to be sure, but who cares, right?

Now people are charging for scans of those scans, and there's no reason for interested parties to pay for the privilege when they can download the scans for free, just like these sellers did.

Here's the link to the Barling Catalog. Please pass this information to interested parties. No one should pay a nickel for a scan of a scan. Keep the information circulating. That's the main thing.

Enjoy!

J

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In 2013 I published a limited edition high quality facsimile of a hitherto unknown and unsuspected Barling catalog ca. 1914. My purpose in doing so was to keep this information from disappearing and to spread it to people interested in the history of Old Britwood. A considerable amount of money, not to mention 150 hours of exceedingly exact digital restoration work, went into the effort. I made my costs back before selling the printing rights. A profit center it was not, nor was it intended to be.

Since then, a Chinese site has published scans of it, in violation of international copyright laws to be sure, but who cares, right?

Now people are charging for scans of those scans, and there's no reason for interested parties to pay for the privilege when they can download the scans for free, just like these sellers did.

Here's the link to the Barling Catalog. Please pass this information to interested parties. No one should pay a nickel for a scan of a scan. Keep the information circulating. That's the main thing.

Enjoy!

J
You sir are a legend at least twice over.

Reactions: Toast

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable', that is a commendable public service to the pipe smoking community and to Barling people throughout the world. When I was a lowly white cap in the U.S. Navy, we made port, as an r&r stop, in Taiwan. The main feature, other than the hostesses at the bar, was a vast collection of copyright knockoffs on every conceivable subject on sale at an open front market across the street from the assigned bar.

Somehow, I actually missed the talk aboard ship outlining off-limits areas, so when I hit the pier, off I went through the on-street cobblers and off-limit bars, and along the old railroad with steam locomotives.

Finally, a Taiwanese "minder" caught up with me, sort of a foreign sailor wrangler, who at my request, took me on a tour of the local temple. He annoyed me, but probably kept me from getting robbed. Young and naive, I thought he was just a pest.

Anyway, copyright defying publication is a staple of their economy, so I recognized the pattern. Where there is a revenue stream, there are "entrepreneurs." And I'm glad I didn't get my throat cut, and belatedly pay tribute to my guardian angel, and my ship's executive officer (if he ever found out) for not court marshaling me.

They did have me working my ass off in the radio shack, so I never got the briefing.

There's more to the story -- a spy on the pier trying to milk information about our ship -- I was mute -- and my almost losing my molars toppling over the rail of the ship coming on board where Engiineman Henderson saved my molars from getting knocked out on an oil drum. But enough sea stories for now.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Enjoy!

J

Thank you for posting this and for your efforts in maintaining this. The problem with international copyright law is China doesn't enforce, prosecute, or generally give a flying fart.

Reactions: bayareabriar

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you for posting this and for your efforts in maintaining this. The problem with international copyright law is China doesn't enforce, prosecute, or generally give a flying fart.
Some years back I read a statistical analysis of the various revenue streams estimated to comprise the Chinese economy and was shocked to read that stolen IP figured into about 90% of it.

• Wow
Reactions: pantsBoots