PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
On tonight’s Pipes Magazine Radio Show we have a new episode of an ongoing segment of what Brian likes to call “Inside Fred’s Head” with Fred Hanna. Fred is a well-known pipe collector, author, and speaker at pipe shows. He has a PhD. in psychology and teaches the same at the Chicago Campus at Adler University. He is also author of the book, “The Perfect Smoke”. This is the 11th in the series with a long form discussion of pipe and tobacco questions sent in by our listeners. In the opening “Pipe Parts” segment, Brian will get caught up on some of the longer answers from questions mailed in. Many of these are great tips for newbies, and a good refresher for the rest of us.

Fred-Hanna-Brian-Levine.jpg

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Brian,

Thanks for another enjoyable show.

When talking about mentorship you snuck in a valuable nugget on pipe smoking technique that bears repeating: Tamping to build and maintain a slight mound in the tobacco.

This subtle detail makes a pipe burn more evenly and can even help compensate for a less than perfect pack. (In my experience)

I’d add that tampers like the 8deco brand with a concave foot facilitate shaping the ember this way.

Proudly Piping in Public,
Renfield

Reactions: motorjon68
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Hey Brian,
Always enjoy a wander inside Fred's head!
Referring to pipe shapes, bent or straight. When I first started smoking a pipe, I really had no idea which way to go. I own several of either shape. But find that I'm reaching for my Dunhill's 120 more than any my other pipes, that pipe really is a good smoke, as are all of my Dunhill's, but the shape 120, just fantastic.
I didn't have any pipe mentoring per se, only what I've had from YouTube and of course your show and the forum, certainly a sign of the times. I surely do wish I'd had the opportunity to have visited a real pipe shop, sit down smoke and chew the fat, with like minded guys.
BTW, started trying the "dome tamping" method, seems to be doing something for the smoke.
As ever, thanks for a great show.
Honkytonk Man - Cliff.

Reactions: motorjon68