PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I stumbled on an Ebay seller who is selling meerschaum pipes listed as from "The Fred Bass Estate". Did he pass away?
Update: We did confirm that Fred did pass away. edit/Al
http://www.ebay.com/sch/cigarbox214/m.html?item=332240959476&hash=item4d5b1ab7f4%3Ag%3A9eIAAOSw8HBZKvzy&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Fred Bass did indeed pass away. I contacted the abovementioned eBay seller who confirmed it. He is auctioning off Fred's collection as per his wife's request.
Fred will be sorely missed by his fellow members and will always be remembered as the ultimate source on meerschaum pipes. Rest in peace my friend.

Sinan Altinok

Lurker
Aug 27, 2011
Ankara, Turkey
What a pity loss. Fred has been one my good friends in many years who was very interested in meerschaum pipes. He was in fact one the best known meerschaum connoisseurs. He smoked almost only meerschaum pipes and collected best quality ones in his life. We recently chatted each other about his comprehensive book to be printed about meerschaum pipes. I was happy to provide him some local info from here for his project. He was going to use some pictures of my pipes too. I'm so sad to hear that he passed away. RIP Fred.

Jun 27, 2016
My link to this site is to his very helpful article on Meer pipes, so I see his name every time I jump on here (from my desktop, anyway).
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-meerschaum-pipe-experience/
=(

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
So long Fred, we're gonna miss you!

fred-bass.jpg

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I had a long time correspondence with Fred, who was very excited about the book he was working on, which would have been a wonderful gift to the meerschaum fans -- as he called us "Devotees of the White Goddess." Heartfelt condolences to his friends and family.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Does anyone know if his book was far enough along or in the process and could be published still?

Sorry to hear the news, I enjoyed your writing Mr. Bass..

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very sorry to hear this. RIP Fred. I hope the book was far enough complete that it might be published posthumously.

Status
Not open for further replies.