PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

noctivagant

Lurker
May 30, 2018
Harrisonburg VA
As an aside, and as one new to the experience of Meerschaums and one who's found his writings on the subject without peer, I just a few minutes ago found out about Fred's passing while hunting for his contact information with the purpose of picking his brain. My condolences to those who knew him.
Anthony, you've got a damn fitting memorial to the man. I recall reading that it could take more than one lifetime to color a meer and while coloration was never Fred's primary goal, I do hope you enjoy his legacy through this pipe and through your enjoyment of it.
Best regards!

noctivagant

Lurker
May 30, 2018
Harrisonburg VA
As another aside. Anthony, what do you think of Deep Hollow? I've got some aging tins with 8 years on em I haven't dug into yet. I'm not much of aromatic smoker and the whim hasn't hit me to crack them or trade em.

Jan 8, 2013
m not much of aromatic smoker and the whim hasn't hit me to crack them or trade em.
crack one. Age doesn't do much for aromatics, and Deep Hollow is fantastic. It may change your mind on some aros. Although I don't think you'll easily find one that can replace Deep Hollow. Might as well at least try it.

noctivagant

Lurker
May 30, 2018
Harrisonburg VA
I think I will crack one this weekend, I should be wrapped up on this HotW by then. I think I'll try my younger can first and see how it suits me. Have you tried Grey Havens? I've got a couple aging cans of that as well from a rampant McClelland-acolypse buying spree.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
HolyGoduhMussy. Anthony, you'd better be glad I don't have your address. Son, we'd have to go round & round on that one. I'd probably go down, but we'd go round & round just the same. Man, there is art, there is pipes, there is pipe art, & then an order of magnitude beyond that, there is this thing. If you say the pics don't do it justice, I'd probably have an infarct if I saw it face-to-pipe. I'm dyin' here, yupyupyup, goin' right straight up to hebbin after seeing that masterpiece! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Jan 8, 2013
HolyGoduhMussy. Anthony, you'd better be glad I don't have your address. Son, we'd have to go round & round on that one. I'd probably go down, but we'd go round & round just the same. Man, there is art, there is pipes, there is pipe art, & then an order of magnitude beyond that, there is this thing. If you say the pics don't do it justice, I'd probably have an infarct if I saw it face-to-pipe. I'm dyin' here, yupyupyup, goin' right straight up to hebbin after seeing that masterpiece! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
:rofl:

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
That's a beauty, for sure.
Fred and myself spent several years trading rare and vintage tobaccos, although my love for Meerschaum never equaled his.
Fred was a true gentleman and pipeman to boot. I shall miss him.
I have a tin of Hermit Tobacco Vintage Series XV2 from 2004 he gifted me some time ago. Think Ill crack it open and smoke a bowl in his honour tonight.
The pipe world is a much poorer place without you, Fred.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Fred’s articles, and extensive writings on the “All Things Meerscham” group (SmokersForum.co.uk), were so educational and passionate. I know he was working on a book before he passed, which so many meerschaum lovers were looking forward to. I loved corresponding with him, and he is most certainly missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.