PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've got the knives, pipes, and supermodel girlfriend.
I wouldn't mind some gold bricks.. or a Blue Riband for that matter.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Knives, whiskey, fountain pens, beards, pipes, photography, gold bullion bricks, supermodel girlfriends, Ferrari supercars... they just seem to go together. :puffy:
Ditto on all the above...except the beard...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I still have yet to add a Blue Riband to my collection. I prefer bents and those are a bit elusive. I ALMOST took a shot at this one, but ultimately forgot about the auction ending and missed it.
I questioned the roundness of the chamber, from the picture below. The seller claimed it bought it unsmoked and only used it lightly. He did offer returns, so I was going to take the chance, fell asleep at the wheel. I really thought it would go higher, so perhaps the other buyers felt the same with with the bowl issue. The grain on this one is really less than stellar.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Comoys-of-London-BLUE-RIBAND-bent-billiard-shape-215-briar-estate-pipe/332473240223?hash=item4d68f30a9f:g:HusAAOSwnDpaJaYY
s-l1600.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
The Blue Riband that Comoy's NEVER made arrived today. Looks legit to me, the pipe has incredibly tight, "angel hair" grain in spots............ really beautiful viewed through a 10x loupe.

I snapped some quick shots on my way out the door to work today, sorry about the quality.............
u5gAFdO.jpg

STnqDHV.jpg

LxqBCOM.jpg

yD7K6Ll.jpg

w74wn8D.jpg

7dja9Yc.jpg

I guess the lesson learned here is "Never say Never"...................... :puffy:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
The three-part "C" looks right in that first photo. At least to my admittedly amateur eye.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
When humans are involved, mistakes will happen.
In this case a not-Blue-Riband-worthy bowl got tossed into the Blue Riband basket, was stamped by someone wasn't paying attention/was hung over/whatever, and shipped.
I'm sure that the historical company figures Neill spoke to were, indeed, 100% sure that no crossgrain BRs were ever authorized, and believed none were ever made because they were assured of it by those who worked for them. It's entirely possible that the line worker responsible for the break in policy didn't even realize it at the time for some reason.
Doesn't matter.
The cool part? That's now officially a truly rare pipe. Possibly unique. 8)

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Neil, you have made a very bold statement by saying Bill Taylor counterfeited Dunhills. How do you know this? Bill was a friend of mine for 20 years, and I never knew him to be dishonest. He made Dunhills under contract for a brief period, but Dunhill cancelled the contract.

I would like to know the basis for your statement.
Not that I have an opinion either way, but I'm definitely curious to this as well

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Neil, you have made a very bold statement by saying Bill Taylor counterfeited Dunhills. How do you know this? Bill was a friend of mine for 20 years, and I never knew him to be dishonest. He made Dunhills under contract for a brief period, but Dunhill cancelled the contract.

I would like to know the basis for your statement.
This is why I never state anything as fact.
I'm guessing he's repeating what I've always heard about the Rochmond(Sp?)PCI collection. I heard he admitted it and that he did it with Frank Lincoln. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.