PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I stumbled across this short bulldog (photos below). It's stamped "Frankau's" in cursive (over) "FIREPROOFED" - left side of shank. And, stamped "MADE IN ENGLAND" (over) "429" - right side of shank. "FRANKAU" is also stamped on the stem. Pipedia informs, "A. Frankau & Co. Ltd. was an English factory until 1920, then taken over by the Oppenheimer Pipe group." When I peruse Oppenheimer Pipe group's brands and sub-brands, there is no sign of "Frankau". Therefore, I am assuming this is a pre-1920s pipe. Normal sized bowl, but a short stubby little number. Anyone know any additional info? Thanks so much!

Dimensions:
Overall Length: 4.5"
Bowl Height: 1.75"
Bowl's Inner Diameter: .65"

IMG_3980.jpegIMG_3982.jpegIMG_3981.jpeg

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Wow! If this pipe that old, it’s an absolutely amazing condition! And a very nice example of a bulldog pipe. I couldn’t help but notice how nice the stem is on this pipe considering the age. Did you refurbish it or was it like this when you bought it? Enjoy your new pipe.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Wow! If this pipe that old, it’s an absolutely amazing condition! And a very nice example of a bulldog pipe. I couldn’t help but notice how nice the stem is on this pipe considering the age. Did you refurbish it or was it like this when you bought it? Enjoy your new pipe.

Thanks, Fralphog. I cleaned the pipe up quite a bit. The stem had several layers of disgusting oxidation/gunk. A bleach bath and time on the buffer got it to where it is at present. I can do better too, but I will smoke it tonight to see if it will become a permanent part of my collection of smokers. If it is a keeper, I will spend more time restoring it. I love the old souls and I am hoping this pipe is as old as I think it is...

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Pipedia informs, "A. Frankau & Co. Ltd. was an English factory until 1920, then taken over by the Oppenheimer Pipe group.

Minor correction: the date on Pipeida is incorrect. Frankau went through bankruptcy in 1927 and was acquired by Oppenheimer Pipes in the spring of 1928 as an immediate prelude to the formation of Cadogan.

When I peruse Oppenheimer Pipe group's brands and sub-brands, there is no sign of "Frankau". Therefore, I am assuming this is a pre-1920s pipe.

I can see how you'd think that but your inference is based on an omission on Pipedia's part. There were a couple of Frankau branded models, but they were introduced and sold in the 1930s-1940s. The Frankau Fireproofed was introduced about 1934 and continued to appear in price lists at least as late as 1956. Below is a trade notice published about a year after the model was launched. It speaks generally about Frankau's ongoing marketing activity at the time of publication (1935); as you'll see in the first complete paragraph below the photo of the Fireproofed dealer display the piece talks briefly about the Fireproofed and its place in the Frankau lineup:

Frankau Fireproof.jpg

Your bulldog is a beauty and I'm glad to hear it's a great smoker. It's survived for two or three generations and with any proper care will be around for many more years to come. Enjoy it in good health!

Cheers,
Jon

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Minor correction: the date on Pipeida is incorrect. Frankau went through bankruptcy in 1927 and was acquired by Oppenheimer Pipes in the spring of 1928 as an immediate prelude to the formation of Cadogan.

I can see how you'd think that but your inference is based on an omission on Pipedia's part. There were a couple of Frankau branded models, but they were introduced and sold in the 1930s-1940s. The Frankau Fireproofed was introduced about 1934 and continued to appear in price lists at least as late as 1956. Below is a trade notice published about a year after the model was launched. It speaks generally about Frankau's ongoing marketing activity at the time of publication (1935); as you'll see in the first complete paragraph below the photo of the Fireproofed dealer display the piece talks briefly about the Fireproofed and its place in the Frankau lineup:

View attachment 143821

Your bulldog is a beauty and I'm glad to hear it's a great smoker. It's survived for two or three generations and with any proper care will be around for many more years to come. Enjoy it in good health!

Cheers,
Jon

Jon,

How fortunate I am that you took the time to respond and provide this information. I am grateful. I am quite sentimental when it comes to pipes. Knowing something about their history means so much to me.

Best,
Steve

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Really nice pipe bro. I’m not sure if it’s just the photos, but there appears to be a really graceful curve running through the shank and stem, slightly takes an edge off the stocky shape.

Reactions: Tate

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Really nice pipe bro. I’m not sure if it’s just the photos, but there appears to be a really graceful curve running through the shank and stem, slightly takes an edge off the stocky shape.

Thanks, Ahi Ka. You saw that right. I normally do not favor Bulldogs, but this one caught my eye for that very reason.

Reactions: Tate

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
UPDATE... After owning it for over a year, this little pipe is an enigma for my collection. I was not a "Bulldog Guy" at all, until this one came my way. It's a middle of the road factory made pipe. I find it fairly plain looking. Nevertheless, it smokes so well. I mean it is superb! Perhaps because it was made in the 1930s (or there abouts)? Anyway, I gave the pipe some attention in the shop yesterday and wanted to share the results.

IMG_9871.jpegIMG_9873.jpegIMG_9874.jpeg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Steve (@Humblepipe),

Glad that little fella is growing on you 😍

What I’d like to know is if you have added any other bulldogs to your kennel ?

I started with one some years back.
And somehow ended with over 40 😏
I’m trying very hard these past few days not to give in to adding yet another one to the brood 😁

Reactions: Tate and jpmcwjr