PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I played with Frank method previously. But as soon as I realized what makes this and most other method work so well is air space/pocket at the bottom, stopped using it. Now use modified 3 step method. Basically 3 step method, but number of pinch might or might not be 3. Don't do that "child, woman, men" bullshit. Push real light till the last pinch of tobacco, but still not firm.

Suilven

Lurker
Mar 11, 2021
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Not really understand filling method of the Frank.
Will really appritiate to get some link to correct video.
Korney, here's the link to the New York Pipe Club slideshow on the Frank method. When I first went through it, it seemed a bit complicated, but that's only because the method has been broken down into several steps for the purpose of instruction. In practice, once I tried it a couple times, it was simple and quick. Essentially: 1. gravity-fill the pipe with no downward pressure 2. pinch a large wad of tobacco from your tin 3. hold it on top of the loose-filled bowl 4. roll/rub it side-to-side (but not downward) so it works its way into the sides of the bowl.

The result is a bowl of loose tobacco with a more compacted plug at the top. The ember seems to like getting its start in the plug and then works its way down through the looser tobacco. This keeps the ember healthy and the draw open.

As Telescopes put it somewhere in this conversation, "drop, pinch, hold, roll". Good luck.

KORNEY

Can't Leave
Mar 26, 2021
Israel
Korney, here's the link to the New York Pipe Club slideshow on the Frank method. When I first went through it, it seemed a bit complicated, but that's only because the method has been broken down into several steps for the purpose of instruction. In practice, once I tried it a couple times, it was simple and quick. Essentially: 1. gravity-fill the pipe with no downward pressure 2. pinch a large wad of tobacco from your tin 3. hold it on top of the loose-filled bowl 4. roll/rub it side-to-side (but not downward) so it works its way into the sides of the bowl.

The result is a bowl of loose tobacco with a more compacted plug at the top. The ember seems to like getting its start in the plug and then works its way down through the looser tobacco. This keeps the ember healthy and the draw open.

As Telescopes put it somewhere in this conversation, "drop, pinch, hold, roll". Good luck.

Thanks a lot!
Will try it.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I sometimes order pipes from Frank's shop here in Germany, but I know very few pipe smoker in Germany who use his method of packing a pipe. I just staff the tobacco in the pipe in layers and fold in my flakes. As usual the prophet is unheard in his own country ?
Hello Ernst,
I bought 2 estates off his shop and was pleased. But this includes not to use his packing and lit methods. Has anyone still linked his education videos....?

Reactions: olkofri

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
A lot of people like the Frank method. Frankly, I don't like the Frank method. Too fussy for me. Codger scoop does fine for me most of the time.
But a lot of people like the Frank method as its precision takes the guesswork out of what for some is the insurmountable intellectual challenge of putting tobacco into a bowl.
My dad would stick the bowl down into his bacca pouch and pack it with his thumb. I'm guessing that's the "codger scoop." I don't remember him fussing with the bacca before or after lighting. He packed it, lit it with two paper matches, smoked it, and dropped the pipe in his pocket.

Reactions: sablebrush52