Found Some Mason Jars That Claim to Block 99% of UV Light. Worth the Extra Cost?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
I've read that you should keep your tobacco out of the light, but I usually can't eliminate this entirely, especially with blends I'm dipping into regularly. Do you think it'd be worth the extra few bucks for these amber colored jars that block out UV light?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've always wondered if UV light can penetrate very far past the leaf that's right up against the glass -- leaving the vast majority of leaf unexposed. Never-the-less, I store my jars in their cases, in shaded areas.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
I'll probably pick up a dozen for the blends that tend to get a bit of light. I try to minimize it, but some of them end up getting exposed to light just to keep access to them easier. I'm also living in a studio at the moment, and finding dark places to hide tobacco is getting harder the longer we live here and accumulate stuff.
How well do you think these would work if their claim of 99% blocking lives up? Could I leave them on my desk without issue? I normally keep them in the box they come in since it covers almost the entire jar, but I'm just curious.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Why don't you just transfer opened mason jars to mylar zip lock bags? Most of the ones I see are silver and wouldn't transmit light. I opened a mylar zip lock yesterday that contained a standard zip lock with tobacco in it yesterday. Couldn't smell anything prior to opening the mylar zip lock, was "assaulted" with the tobacco smell as soon as I opened the mylar. Kind of demonstrated how superior the mylar is to the standard plastic zip lock.
I also think having the tobacco exposed to light for a month or two is hardly going to affect it. Don't over think it. That tobacco did in fact grow up in the sunlight. Another simple, cheap alternative would be to buy a solid colored plastic container to store opened tobacco in.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
How long have you stored tobacco in mylar zip lock bags? I mean, how long can you.

Nothing I keep around last a year.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I personally have not stored tobacco in mylar that long. There have been a couple of people on this forum say they've stored for 10 years and longer with success. I hope they're correct because I've sealed up 30 plus pounds of bulk tobacco in mylar for long term storage/aging.

May 4, 2015
Mylar is good long-term if you heat seal it. The zippers themselves can and will fail, so don't rely on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.