PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Edited Title: No ALL CAPS!

Capitals for important words only. Please.

A guy I met at my local cigar shop gifted me some Classic Samsun, Drama Reserve and Dunhill EMP. All three are half tins from 07 and they are very dry. I’m going to try to rehydrate them but I’ve never tried to rehydrate tobacco that is this old. What chance do I have of bringing them back to life? C0D1FA5A-F1CB-4E41-BCCA-94F269DE836B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
There are many ways to rehydrate, and as Bullet says, you have nothing to lose by trying. I've found that 9mm charcoal filters soaked in distilled water, do a surprisingly good job of rehydrating. Two or three of those placed in the tin should do it, replacing them as they dry out. I think there's a sticky on rehydration somewhere on here; I'd check it out too. Good luck!

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
There are many ways to rehydrate, and as Bullet says, you have nothing to lose by trying. I've found that 9mm charcoal filters soaked in distilled water, do a surprisingly good job of rehydrating. Two or three of those placed in the tin should do it, replacing them as they dry out. I think there's a sticky on rehydration somewhere on here; I'd check it out too. Good luck!
Thanks for tip.
I dropped humidification packets in each tin earlier and I have been reading the sticky on rehydration. Not sure what method I’ll use.

Reactions: Servant King

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I doubt they'll be all that great. rehydrating something like that can't bring back the oils. But hey they might be great.
You have
I doubt they'll be all that great. rehydrating something like that can't bring back the oils. But hey they might be great.
Thanks Bob - I’m going to interpret your post as “good luck Lotus”

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I've had rehydration bring glorious tobaccos back from the dead, and also dead tobaccos stay dead after achieving a good moisture content. I've found it takes a month or 2, depending on ambient conditions during that time. Again, nothing to lose by trying.

Reactions: ofafeather

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
party pooper
I have to say this is probably the best and most overlooked way of doing it - I've never thought of it but those charcoal granules are quite 'clean' from and odor and germ free perspective

Reactions: LotusEater