PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Some type of sheet stock that was punched in the shape of the stars, then possibly gold washed. From a fabrication standpoint, that would be the most economical. I suppose unless there was vulcanite that could resist 2500 F+ temps back in the day. And there were probably little Keebler Elves with tiny little crucibles pouring the gold stars... The rumor I've heard was that Mr. Lee lost his pipe manufacturing facility in an unfortunate schmelting accident.

Because of the mail order success, everyone knows Lee was in with the Bazos family decades ago. This is exactly where he sourced the edible stars in the pipes. ?

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
There would be setup and minimal run charges to extrude rod stock, plus it would distort when sheared, whereas maybe less than $100 for punch dies back then. And sheet stock would have been cheap. I've been involved in metal fabrication directly and indirectly for over 30 years. Many of the logos at the time where most likely punched as well, as embossing could have been accomplished in the same step.

Punch press - Wikipedia

As far as the stars being made of brass. I didn't notice any verdigris (oxidation) on the stars of the pipes I got, and in the condition and age of said pipes, I would expected to see at least some.
True