PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
@greysmoke's interesting thread on "hitting bottom" got me thinking about how you'd determine the number of pipes you "need."

I guess the formula would be something like:

(number of genres you want to dedicate pipes to) x ([maximum number of bowls you might ever smoke in a day] x 2) = maximum number of pipes you could ever "need."

I say "([maximum number of bowls you might ever smoke in a day] x 2)" on the generally accepted rule of thumb that you should give a pipe a day of rest in between smokes. So, IF you ever were going to smoke from only one genre, for 2+ days, and IF you were going to have the maximum number of pipes on both of those two days, then you'd "need" this many pipes to give each one that day of rest.

Of course guys wind up with different numbers of genres they want pipes dedicated to not only because not all guys smoke all genres, but also because guys differ on how broad a category should be. E.g. one guy uses the same pipes for VAs and VaPers, whereas another guys uses different pipes for Straight VAs and for VaPers. Or, one guy uses the same pipes for Aros and Lakelands, whereas another guy uses different pipes for Aros and for Lakelands. Etc.

So, in my particular case, I want pipes in 3 categories:
  1. VAs and VaPers
  2. Balkan and English
  3. Aromatic and Lakeland
And the maximum number of pipes I ever smoke in a day is 3 (rare).

So, I could never "need" more than 18 pipes, in my case.

Would you do the math differently? And whether you do the math this way or that, how many pipes do you wind up "needing"?

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
@greysmoke's interesting thread on "hitting bottom" got me thinking about how you'd determine the number of pipes you "need."

(number of genres you want to dedicate pipes to) x ([maximum number of bowls you might ever smoke in a day] x 2) = maximum number of pipes you could ever "need."

I say "([maximum number of bowls you might ever smoke in a day] x 2)" on the generally accepted rule of thumb that you should give a pipe a day of rest in between smokes. So, IF you ever were going to smoke from only one genre, for 2+ days, and IF you were going to have the maximum number of pipes on both of those two days, then you'd "need" this many pipes to give each one that day of rest.

Of course guys wind up with different numbers of genres they want pipes dedicated to not only because not all guys smoke all genres, but also because guys differ on how broad a category should be. E.g. one guy uses the same pipes for VAs and VaPers, whereas another guys uses different pipes for Straight VAs and for VaPers. Or, one guy uses the same pipes for Aros and Lakelands, whereas another guy uses different pipes for Aros and for Lakelands. Etc.

1. VAs and VaPers
  2. Balkan and English
  3. Aromatic and Lakeland

Would you do the math differently? And whether you do the math this way or that, how many pipes do you wind up "needing"?
I hope my wife never sees this thread. According to your calculations I also only need 18, but I think I'll triple that just to be safe.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I think your formula is accurate for non-collectors that just want to smoke a pipe. If the collecting bug ever bites, efforts can be made to upscale the collection rather than increasing raw numbers.

The only outlier is that tobaccos smoke differently in each material, So you may want to add meerschaum, cobs, clays, morta and pyrolitic graphite to each genre, as appropriate.

Of course, there always needs to be caveats (weasel words), unique to each smoker. In my case, I don't "count" cobs since they are disposable. :ROFLMAO:

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
This gets really complicated when you break it down into sub/sub-sub genres like straight VA and straight Burley vs Vaper and VaBur and VaBurPer. I have a straight Oriental pipe and usually smoke Oriental Silk (contains Perique) in a pipe dedicated to Vapers just so it doesn't get too out of hand.

Then you have certain go-to blends that need their own pipe. Like I couldn't imagine smoking Grousemoor and Ennerdale and Bob's Chocolate all out of the same pipe.

And Presby gets its own.

So I'm left with a ton of pipes if something gets ghosted I smoke 5 bowls of Five brothers in it , if the ghost persists then that pipe is dedicated to the blend that ghosted it.

I came to NC with 6 pipes 4 months ago I now have 19 granted 5 are Cobs and 3 are unsmoked Ser Jacopo's and I have as many back in Idaho.

When we get to the new house and my tastes relax I'll be doing lots of salt and Everclear treatments and re-organizing.
I'm probably taking things way too far but too far is my usual destination...

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia

1. VAs and VaPers
  2. Balkan and English
  3. Aromatic and Lakeland

I’ve found that I usually rotate through a few favorites but I think for me a dozen pipes would suffice, however I have way more than that! If I was sensible I would have stopped at 14 and definitely kept it under 20. 😂

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
This gets really complicated when you break it down into sub/sub-sub genres like straight VA and straight Burley vs Vaper and VaBur and VaBurPer. I have a straight Oriental pipe and usually smoke Oriental Silk (contains Perique) in a pipe dedicated to Vapers just so it doesn't get too out of hand.

Then you have certain go-to blends that need their own pipe. Like I couldn't imagine smoking Grousemoor and Ennerdale and Bob's Chocolate all out of the same pipe.

And Presby gets its own.

So I'm left with a ton of pipes if something gets ghosted I smoke 5 bowls of Five brothers in it , if the ghost persists then that pipe is dedicated to the blend that ghosted it.

I came to NC with 6 pipes 4 months ago I now have 19 granted 5 are Cobs and 3 are unsmoked Ser Jacopo's and I have as many back in Idaho.

When we get to the new house and my tastes relax I'll be doing lots of salt and Everclear treatments and re-organizing.
I'm probably taking things way too far but too far is my usual destination...
Buy you Everclear out outside of NC. We only have the 150 proof stuff, not the real Everclear. I get mine in SC.

Reactions: Cyxelsid and SBC
The formula looks great, but then add in beater pipes for outdoor work, pipes just for dressing up for church, sporty pipes for smoking during breaks at the gym, a set that matches my fancy boots, plus… if I buy one bamboo stemmed, then I need a full set of 6-9 more to round out a full day of smoking, and same for spigots. A full set of chonky bulldogs, and a drawer full of pipes that I just bought to keep anyone else from having them. puffy

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
p+a=d

p = the number of pipes you have
a = just one more, I swear
d = the number of pipes needed

This is the right answer. I don't need anymore pipes, I've got more than enough for smoking at home as well as some beater pipes for the road. Some rarely even get used but aren't worth enough for me to want to go through the hassle to sell them. But if a new pipe catches my eye then I'll buy it. After all, I enjoy pipe tobacco and getting a new pipe occasionally is part of the joy of the experience for me.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I like that formula. It does have a safety factor of sorts, because if you choose to smoke all three of one day's bowls of the same genre, then all of your other pipes are getting plenty of rest. If your smoking habits have any periodicity, that can reduce the minimum quite a bit. (But it would make the formula a bit more complex and user-specific, and I'm not here to talk anyone out of owning more pipes. puffy)