PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm watching one of those antique programs where people take in their items to be valued and then sell them at auction.
Someone brought in a pipe that belonged to Harold Wilson who was British Prime Minister between 1964 - 1970 and then again from 1974 - 1976, winning a total of 4 elections. He had donated it to a charity auction in the '70's, along with a letter and a signed picture of him smoking the pipe.
Sadly they didn't mention the pipe maker and even with freeze frame, I couldn't make out the makers name. Anyway, it went to auction and sold for £110 ($163) which means the seller took home £93 ($138) after tax and commission. Strikes me as a bargain!

May 31, 2012
Interesting, seems he made out pretty good with the pipe-smoking identity!

votelabour.jpg

A neat old short documentary features him too:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/harold-wilson-at-pipe-exhibition

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for the link. How time change! Here's an article about a BBC retrospective on his life, which tried to avoid showing him smoking!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277847/So-did-BBC-chiefs-rob-Harold-Wilson-pipe-Questions-asked-PM-s-smoking-played-new-documentary.html

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I hope the buyer was Bob Hoskins. I can see him smoking it and in his best gangster voice saying, "This righ 'ere, it's the Proyme Ministahs pipe, it is. AN 'AT MEANS OY'M THA PROYME MINISTAH NOW!" And then shooting somebody. With his crazy eyes.

But I digress. Cool!

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
No sound could not hear what was being said, yes my sound was on and up as high as it could be ????????????

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good post - and thanks for the links misterlowercase. Seems someone got it for cheap - wish I knew what brand of pipe it was though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I hope the buyer was Bob Hoskins. I can see him smoking it and in his best gangster voice saying, "This righ 'ere, it's the Proyme Ministahs pipe, it is. AN 'AT MEANS OY'M THA PROYME MINISTAH NOW!" And then shooting somebody. With his crazy eyes.

But I digress. Cool!
Easter is right around the corner!

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
The only thing I could make out as far as the maker was concerned was a "Royale" stamp on the shank. But many pipe manufacturer have used that name for a series of pipes. But seeing he was Prime Minster, I'm guessing it wasn't a cheap basket pipe.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I think he must have had a good pipe rotation as I've seen pictures of him with a pot, Dublin and billiard amongst others. Although I think most (all?) his pipes were straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.