PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
Good Evening all, I'll try to keep this one short. I'm one of the college age pipe smokers that have been talked about around here for awhile. To formally introduce myself I'm 18 and a Navy Midshipman here at my college, looking forward to entering the Navy after college but I have a long road ahead of me.
Now here at college my campus is the last state school in Mass to allow tobacco on campus but I still only smoke about once a week, if that. I am just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a tobacco that has a lot of flavor, I'm not partially to any form of tobacco aromatic, english or virginia, I'm still trying everything. A lot of tobaccos are labeled as " all day smoke" which seems to translate to mellow and mild, I am not really interested in those because I smoke so rarely. My experience is limited to Mac Barens Navy flake, and Virginia Flake, McClellands Frog Morton on the town, black shag and Virginia woods, though I haven't opened the Virginia woods, Escudo, and CAO moontrance. I am within walking distance to The Owl Shop in Worcester so access is not an issue. Thanks for any recommendations!

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I'd recommend Dunhill Flake and Lane 1Q. Although I'm sure others have better suggestions. Oh, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If you're after full flavor, interesting, memorable blends then I would recommend GL Pease's Haddo's Delight, Rattray's Marlin Flake, and Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake. You may also want to try Peterson's Irish Oak, Erinmore Flake, and Peterson's University Flake.
Open up that tin of Escudo!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
If you like Latakia and want a full, rich, Lat heavy blend, I'd say Boswell Northwoods. It's a very good blend! You might want to look at Dunhill Nightcap as well.

Welcome to the forum!
Dan

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I'll second the Escudo and Nightcap recommendations. Their flavor characteristics are huge and forward. The Lakeland-oriented stuff like 1792 would probably qualify but I probably wouldn't start there as they are love it or hate it but Escudo and Nightcap are "safe bets".

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
For starters there is always the trusted standbys of Lanes 1Q and FM Cellar, but I would also recommend Dunhill Flake and MacBaren's No.1 Virginia, good luck with your new journey.

~Ron

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
+1 for Haddo's Delight. Great stuff.
I'll add GLPease's "Key Largo" as well. Very full flavor! A little sweet, rich, creamy even. Smoky from Latakia and earthy from cigar leaf. It's also a great intro to cigars if you haven't had any, or a better transition into pipes if you have!
Welcome aboard, happy smoking.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Welcome to the forum..As far as blends to try there's a ton of them.If you liked On The Town but want something with more heft to it.Frog Morton is one answer.It's by no means the only one though.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I'm a big fan of Peterson's Irish Flake. Bold and strong. The nicotine will hit hard if you're not careful

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi there, since you've already received some wonderful advice and have access to a high quality tobacconist, this post is just to say, "Greetings!"
Welcome to the forums Ctron. I look forward to your posts.
-- Pat

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Almost all blends are based on Virginia leaf. To start, I would recommend any straight Virginia tobacco such as GL Pease Union Square just to see what the foundations are like.
Smoke slowly and keep the pipe clean.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
Thanks for all the advice! I am trying to get out to Boston, most likely will happen over winter break and I will definitely stop into Peretti's. Roth, I will talk to the guys down at the Owl shop on my next trip.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
ct - The Owl Shop there does a bunch of their own blends, which you can sample from their jars. They sell them an ounce at a time, so that you can try one or several bowls without having to commit to having more of a blend on hand than you would want. That way, you can survey the landscape of tobaccoland. About the only genre you would not find there that way are the Lakelands.
hp

les

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Welcome sailor! I'm still relatively new as well (a few months) and you simply can't go wrong with the Dunhill flake if that's all you smoke at the present time. Ritualistically, it's also more fun: the preparation of the flake, measuring it just right for your pipe, lighting up that wonderful flake. Enjoy and glad to have you on board!

Status
Not open for further replies.