PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
As we transition in the fall from summer to winter here in the central Rockies, I am going back to my jackets and colder-weather clothes. While I don't find pipes -- they always go back to the rack -- I am finding assorted tampers, packs of pipe cleaners and lighters in my pockets which haven't been seen for around six months. It's always nice.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"What's America got to do with the price of cheese?"

@Duck, my error so apologies. I wrongly assumed the silver mine you mentioned was in America.

Whatever, the term sterling does not originate from any silver mine anywhere which was my main point.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
"What's America got to do with the price of cheese?"

@Duck, my error so apologies. I wrongly assumed the silver mine you mentioned was in America.

Whatever, the term sterling does not originate from any silver mine anywhere which was my main point.

Regards,

Jay.
There's a well known silver mine at Alva (near Stirling). It's famous because the proceeds from it were used to fund the 1715 Jacobite uprising. A few hundred yards from it is the much older and forgotten Sterling silver mine. It was producing silver during the period Stirling begins to be used as a silver and currency indicator.

So, Stirling silver was an actual thing. It's as least a plausible etymology as the Easterling one.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"So, Stirling silver was an actual thing."

I never said it wasn't, just that that is not where the term 'sterling silver' comes from.

Incidentally I have a specimen of native silver (I'm a mineral collector) from the Alva Mine at Clackmannanshire!

Regards,

Jay.