PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
... smoke Gaslight. That stuff is pretty close to what I remember Penzance tasted like when I was smoking it some ten years ago. Once cut into slices it even has that crumbly texture. This stuff is freaking fantastic and the best thing is: it's actually available!

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
That's all well and good but you may find Gaslight a bit thin on the ground if all the Penzance lemmings take your advice.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Im a huge fan of Gaslight... I have half a tin open at the moment, as i usually do, but I don't find it tastes like Penzance, mind you its been a while since I smoked Penzance ... either way i like Gaslight more than i did Penzance.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ive never had either of those two GL Pease blends, are they nice and strong?
I think Odyssey is stronger and Quiet Nights is a little sweeter with both having a lot of Latakia.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I don't think Gaslight and Penzance are that close and I love both. Out of all the suggested substitutes, excluding Krumble Kake because I can find any, I think Star of the East flake is closest but still decidedly different. Just my 2 cents, although now that the gold standard is gone I'm not sure what that's worth.

Gaslight is smokey and I like it. But, it lacks that balanced incense like quality of Penzance. Not that Penzance is the end all of end alls, but it's different. And, I love love love Star of the East, but its more sour and gruff in flavor, without the Penz incense qualities. All good suggestions, but just not interchangeable, IMO. Thats like saying Red Cake is just like Astleys 109, or Escudo is just like Annie Cake. Or, granny smith apples are just like Macintosh apples.

Mar 1, 2014
Yup, yup and yup. Gaslight, Quiet Nights, Star of the East, and I'll add Captain Earle's Stimulus Package, and I still have to try about a dozen other highly rated Latakia blends.

We're inundated, bombarded, saturated with and have modern classics coming out of our ears, but people can't stand not having constant access to one blend.

P

pipebuddy

Gaslight has the most intoxicating aroma I have ever smelled in an English blend. Its taste is just awesome and it delivers a nice dose of Vitamin N.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
There probably isn't anything on the market exactly like Penzance otherwise people would be smoking it regularly and not giving a damn if Penzance was available or not. But that said there are a number of very good substitutes. I smoked Penzance for years. Back then you could walk into Peretti's in Boston and get several tins just about any time you wanted it. Now if you're ten minutes late responding to the e-mail alert your out of luck. Penzance is good but not that good!!! There any number of blends out there that I enjoy as much. Nothing exactly the same but quite a few with their own special merits. I stopped chasing Penzance clones and just enjoy what's available because it's good in its own right.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
All you Lathounds will love STP Bengal Slices.
hp

les
- lover of Gaslight, Quiet Nights, Sextant, Pirate Cake, Lancer's Slices,Park Lane Bengal, Bow Legged Bear, SOTEF, Stimulus Package, 10 Russians, English Atmosphere, Old Ironsides, Holly's Discovery, Krumble Kake, Fusilier's Ration and even Penzance

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
it lacks that balanced incense like quality of Penzance

Bingo! I love Gaslight, started buying it in the 8 oz. tins, but it doesn't taste like Penzance to me. So far nothing I've tried tastes like Penzance.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
STP Bengal Slices is the Bees Knees! It's a quality Balkan in a crumbly flake. It does remind me a little bit of Balkan Sobranie, not the Germains poop, but the '80's stuff, just in a milder version.
I have a few pounds of Penzance happily aging, and it's safe from me because I detest the stuff. I have it to share with those who love it but who can't ever get any due to the glassy eyed lemmings.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I am happy to be puffin on Old Ironsides and Quiet Nights, awesome blends and are easily available. Yes, forget Penzance, but Stonehaven is on a different stratosphere! That dragon I will chase!!

Status
Not open for further replies.