PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have two forever stems. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan. They create a lot of moisture for me, and are hard and at times uncomfortable. They look great, but I'm a wet smoker I guess, and the gurgling is annoying.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I have two forever stems. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan. They create a lot of moisture for me, and are hard and at times uncomfortable. They look great, but I'm a wet smoker I guess, and the gurgling is annoying.

I haven't had any gurgle. I hear you on the comfort though. I'm fine with them, but I don't clench often so it's not as much of an issue. I'd agree that they aren't good clenching stems.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I haven't had any gurgle. I hear you on the comfort though. I'm fine with them, but I don't clench often so it's not as much of an issue. I'd agree that they aren't good clenching stems.
And I usually prefer acrylic stems. But these are intense. And I'm afraid to try to open them up. I ruined a different acrylic stem once before.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, with the acrylic stems the smoking experience is excellent. The light weight cobs make the acrylic stems easy on the mouth and teeth, and you could be smoking a high end briar from the comfort point of view. In the Forever line, I bought one orange swirl stem that sets off the cob perfectly; it doesn't look arty or funky, just fine.

Reactions: gerryp

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That rim looks too perfectly charred. Did you do it on purpose? :)
I dont like the discoloration on cob rims as they are smoked, not from charring, just from the smoke. Cleaning isn't possible as all that happens is the lacquer is smeared. That was done with diluted chocolate syrup and a lighter. Never understood how one could char a rim just smoking it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I dont like the discoloration on cob rims as they are smoked, not from charring, just from the smoke. Cleaning isn't possible as all that happens is the lacquer is smeared. That was done with diluted chocolate syrup and a lighter. Never understood how one could char a rim just smoking it.
Mine aren't charred, it's lava from overflow. I over pack apparently...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine aren't charred, it's lava from overflow. I over pack apparently...
I just treat my cobs like any other pipe. I've yet had to ream them. The one pictured is five years old and even have a General from 2010 with the original stem.

Reactions: sfduke

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I've got one vulcanite forever stem that I love so much I switch it around my cobs as I rotate them. I have an acrylic one that is really thick, heavy and uncomfortable, so I never use it anymore.

Reactions: didimauw
Status
Not open for further replies.