PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Old Log Cabin Pipe Works is open for orders. Limit 3 Forever Stems. Great addition to a Cob. Use them on my Mark Twain and other filtered Cobs. Converts to non-filter as a bonus.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm curious about how much modification might be needed with these?

Not all of my cobs accept even MM replacement stems. They all seem to be too tight.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have two of the original Forever Stems and they fit the Cobs with little trouble. Cobs are more of a slam jam production so tolerances vary. I have three Vulcanite stems on the way and will report back. I expect some fitment issues. It is easy to open up the cob to accept a replacement stem.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Finally! I'd just checked their page again the other day. Thank you for the heads up. I hope they still have a supply when I'm ready to make an order.
I've never tried one, but have wanted to, because I hate the standard MM stems, which is why I usually buy the extra (freehand) vulcanite stems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have three Forever stems and two of them fit to a "T." The third one, a zippy orange swirl lucite, fits but doesn't push in all the way. It has no effect on the smoking, but it doesn't look quite as snappy as it could. Of course, I could get busy with sandpaper and fix it, but I haven't yet. I still recommend these. Cobs usually last a long long time, so you may as well make a real smoking pipe out of them; I chew up the regular stems in about a year. A Forever stem converts a filter pipe into a non-filter pipe, which I find good, and you have to buy the other kind of Forever stem for pipes that are already non-filter. Unless things have changed, the stems come in standard lengths but can be shortened by request to any shorter length (that's functional). These stems have bits that are wider and the stems are more durable, so it is a real step up. Should the cob ever burn out, you can transfer the stem to a new MM cob.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Thanks for the head's up! I gave up checking the site a while ago--but now I have three stems on order including a nose-warmer. Can't wait to pop these on the cobs.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like the idea of these stems, but the shanks of my cobs get larger as time goes by. I bought some acrylic stems that weren't turned at the tenon, and they work perfectly. Like a military style bit.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'm curious about how much modification might be needed with these?
I can't speak for the Old Log Cabin stems, but the Walker stems needed some modifying depending on preference. I just stuck them in the pipes that fit each stem the best to start. There wasn't much modification needed for them to fit. I had do to a little heating, pushing, sanding, and waxing to get some of them just right; but was easy enough. I used to order the straight nosewarmer stems from Walker. I would file and sand the sides down to make more narrow bits, shaped the buttons on them to preference, and opened up the slots. It's what made my cobs into some of my most favorite and comfortable pipes today.

Status
Not open for further replies.