PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Wasn’t sure where to put this. I figured General Discussion was a safe bet. Here’s my question:

I’ve never messed with the Mylar bags before, but I have some 1 lb D&R bags I need to put up. I’d like to bag it in Mylar. Will a Food Saver machine seal the Mylar bags? If not, what’s the best way to do it?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
?
Good deal. I was wondering if an iron would work. I might be able to sneak my wife’s hair straightener. ?
Warning, melted plastic will get on whatever heat source you use. Your wife may not appreciate that; it'll remelt when you turn the heat on again! I fold a piece of tin foil over the mylar edge I'm sealing to keep the plastic off the iron. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for it to cool down to scrap the plastic off.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Warning, melted plastic will get on whatever heat source you use. Your wife may not appreciate that; it'll remelt when you turn the heat on again! I fold a piece of tin foil over the mylar edge I'm sealing to keep the plastic off the iron. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for it to cool down to scrap the plastic off.
Parchment paper works to to protect the flat iron surface

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Reactions: Country Bladesmith

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I use my wife's straightener and I've never had plastic melt onto the heating element. Once pre-heated, it just needs to be pressed for a couple seconds to melt.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.