PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I am new and have lots to learn but I love sweet and my morning smokes have been with coffee with cream and a teaspoon of honey. I love it but after watching YTPC videos I see lots of stuff that makes me wonder. I see black coffee, coke, fraps, green tea, and even had advice to smoke a certain blend after eating Chinese food. @&$ say what? My mind tells me if I drink black coffee or unsweet tea that my smoke will taste sweeter or is that nonsense? I am going to experiment myself but thought I would start a blog asking you all for your experiences and favorite pairings.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
For me, a heavy Latakia English goes great with Red wine preferably Malbac
I like Burley or dark fired with Black Coffee
Light to medium Va with Iced Tea or Pilsner /Lager Beer
Dark Va or Vabur with IPA / Burbon
Orientals with black/green/oolong tea
Lakelands mineral water

Reactions: Old_Newby

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
For me, a heavy Latakia English goes great with Red wine preferably Malbac
I like Burley or dark fired with Black Coffee
Light to medium Va with Iced Tea or Pilsner /Lager Beer
Dark Va or Vabur with IPA / Burbon
Orientals with black/green/oolong tea
Lakelands mineral water
Now that’s what I talking about!! I do like red wine so will give it a try.

Reactions: vosBghos
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My normal pairing for when I'm having a pipe is coffee. I usually add cream and sugar. If I'm having a beer my normal pairing is Guiness. Occasionally I'll have a water, Dr. Pepper and/or an IPA or Lager with my pipes, but I prefer coffee. I've found that coffee; especially after I've let it cool helps sooth my tongue and throat, and keeps any irritations away (i.e. tongue bite). Soda and regular beers can intensify tongue bite if I'm experiencing it. That's definitely not a good thing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Day time? Iced tea or coffee. Very rarely will I indulge in a soda. Evening? Iced tea or beer and, regularly, a wee bit of Port just before bed. I pair everything with what ever I stuffed the bowl with and lit. I try to keep pipe experience simple with little to no serious thought.

Really, no change since the last five or so times subject has arisen here.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Food - I give a lot of thought into appropriate wine pairings when eating out or in company

Pipes and cigars - pretty much whatever I feel like. I don't like to overthink
Very occasionally a pairing doesn't work.
Mostly most pairings work just fine.
Or more correctly, they don't have a negative impact.

I find the weather to be more of a factor in my decision. 🤔
If it is a very hot day, then a cold drink - ice water, lemonade, coke, G&T, etc. Definitely NOT a cognac or rum
In winter I will often have a spirit - cognac or rum/rhum +/- a mug of tea or coffee

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I've never really paired tobacco with food and don't care to smoke if full. I'm also not big on alcohol while eating or wine in general.

Coffee and water are the primary beverages. I enjoy a vanilla blend as the first smoke of the day (Arrowhead or Vanilla Roll Cake), which pairs well with black coffee. Then it is either a Virginia or Burley blend, also with coffee. Although, I did enjoy a stout rope as a first smoke 2 weeks ago and will repeat.

Mid day, I'll have water or diet cola with a more stout Virginia or Burley blend. However, it's not a true pairing (and coffee goes well with most tobacco).

Bourbon, brandy, or a beer (lager or porter) are enjoyed on the rare occasion with a pipe. However, I find the tobacco flavors muted after a couple of cocktails and may have a bourbon and diet while sticking with codger blends or the occasional Latakia blend at night.

There isn't really a thought process behind the pairings. Coffee and soda happen to be what I consume most often.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I am new and have lots to learn but I love sweet and my morning smokes have been with coffee with cream and a teaspoon of honey. I love it but after watching YTPC videos I see lots of stuff that makes me wonder. I see black coffee, coke, fraps, green tea, and even had advice to smoke a certain blend after eating Chinese food. @&$ say what? My mind tells me if I drink black coffee or unsweet tea that my smoke will taste sweeter or is that nonsense? I am going to experiment myself but thought I would start a blog asking you all for your experiences and favorite pairings.

Try the sample I’m sending you with coffee & cream. Game changer.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
No to food.

Iced tea, black hot tea, black coffee, occasional Coke, occasional Corona, occasional cider, occasional whisky(ey). Often nothing to drink.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Thanks everyone. I have only smoked with coffee, water, and occasional bourbon. Going to add beer and wine as options. I do like Coke and Dr Pepper and Half/Half tea, but my wife is Catholic and has signed me up for Lent so soft drinks, sweat tea, and French fries are gone for 2 months.

Happy Smoking. As I write this morning I am on my first coffee doing my Wordle and my mouth is watering already. Oh what to smoke today?

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Thanks for asking. After a full year of trying to figure it out. Stopping meds for a couple months, changing meds, diet, eliminating alcohol sugars, not smoking in case it was nicotine, seeing an ENT, having scans of mouth / glands, etc there is no change and nothing wrong with me per doctors. There is a medication that will help but they say the side effects are bad and you feel blahhh. So hey life throws a curveball but I am moving forward. I swallow more but the good news is my taste is intact and I am enjoying the pipe again. I am still avoiding Latakia for now but burley and Virginia and Perique and Kentucky give me a lot of options.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I don't think of smoke as something to pair with anything else. It's smoke. I'm not out to create an elaborate multi-sensory experience, here. I eat at meal times, I drink when I'm thirsty or when socializing, and I smoke to relax at the end of my day.

But sure I'll admit that on the occasions I happened to have a cup of coffee at the same time, they tasted more than the sum of their parts.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I think a cup of coffee of your choosing and a pipe full of your chosen blend to start the day is a great thing.

The same can be said of water and a pipe at midday.

A cold Beer and a pipe at the end of the day is nice, as is spirit drank or again just water.

Bubbles and Pipes can conflict, but I wouldn't discourage it.

Just find your flavors and go for it.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I'm pretty simple, I drink what I'm in the mood for. It doesn't really matter to me what I am smoking. If I'm having a morning pipe (like now), it's always black coffee. If late afternoon, coffee again, if there is any left, if not, I'll crack a Pepsi or Coke. Evenings are a fluctuation of water, beer, soda, or bourbon...just really depends on my mood. Never tried red wine before with a pipe...might have to give that a go. The only thing I'm fairly specific with is if I'm smoking a Virginia or VaPer (which is mostly during the summers) and I'll drink summer shandy with that.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Coffee or water with any tobacco, tea with many others. I don't like to drink alcohol or fizzy drinks when smoking, doesn't agree with me.

Mostly coffee with a bit of half and half.

Reactions: SBC and BarrelProof