PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What is the purpose of Following in a forum space? Why can members do it without asking permission from the member they wish to follow and why can't the option of being followed be something one can turn on or off? It's unnerving knowing someone is getting updates on all of my forum activities and I find myself increasingly apprehensive of posting.

Reactions: burleyboy

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
How do you know someone is following (stalking) you? I'd like to know if I have any stalkers. I doubt I do...I don't have much to offer here.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the intention is to allow members to follow particular members who post material of special interest to them -- particular brands of pipes, specific craft or historical expertise, etc. Like so many of these online functions, misuse seems to hang over these capabilities. If you feel these are being misused, complain loudly is all I can say.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
follow particular members who post material of special interest to them -- particular brands of pipes, specific craft or historical expertise, etc.
Isn't that wht we have the option to post questions and topic threads?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It's kinda like Flickr, methinks. Following allows members to have any new content authored by you to pop on their feed so that they don't miss your great work. When you're outputting something, the point is that people see it—the more the merrier; why light a lamp and hide it under the bed?

At least that's the rationale of those who designed these software platforms. Trying to control who follows me would be like giving passersby control over when I can look outside MY window.

I'm not worried about people I know are following me. The real scary ones are those who follow you without letting you know.

Reactions: Bengel and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.