PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
A while ago I experienced theft of my favorite and only smokable pipe, and I honestly couldn't even bring myself to think about buying another. I was too fixated on the sentimental value of that which was lost.
And so the days went by with my tobacco going unsmoked in their jars. I'd occasionally try one or another in a poor smoker and usually ended the process within a few puffs.
And then I received a mysterious package in the mail.

I popped it open and found a pipe in wonderful condition. At first I felt so humbled at the thoughtfulness behind the gift, that I didn't want to ruin that state by smoking and risking being disappointed after comparing it to my previous lost pipe, and so I set it aside for a few weeks, enjoying the feelings of admiration generated by fnord's generosity.
But my curiosity eventually got the better of me, and I ceremoniously prepared some FVF. And come sundown, I sat out in the balcony, opened my laptop, packed, lit up and began my weekend nightly side project coding session, fully expecting to suddenly be distracted by the poor taste offered by my poor smoker, or to simply be irked by unfamiliarity. But it never happened.

Half way through the bowl and I forgot which pipe I was smoking, or that I was smoking at all. I was in the zone, buzzing, immersed in thought and flavor, and then it was suddenly over, and the only thing on my mind was that I bloody damn have to repack and relight as fast as possible.
Thank you Jim. I am humbled. You've made one of my favorite experiences available again and concurrently restored my faith in people's capacity for kindness and understanding. You've also managed to open my mind to the prospect of purchasing a pipe, though it'll take me a while to zero in on the specifics.
The bottom line is, you rock, and while I am grateful for the gift, I'm far more grateful for the act itself and what it stands for in my eyes.

Jolly. (in my way to repack and relight).

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Me too. You sound like you had a transcendental experience that goes 'way beyond the granting of a new pipe by a spectacular human being. Huzzah for both of you!

Dec 28, 2015
Most excellent. Even though I have never personally met any of you I feel like I am getting to know a truly wonderful group of guys. This story (and countless other like it) serve to reinforce that opinion.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Your the man of the hour Jim. When I was down an out you PM'D me with little chats. There are many like you luckily on this forum. This is your time. ENJOY THE PIPE jollyrogers.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I have done several trades and bought and sold several pipes with Jim . He is top notch and without a doubt is one of the best men on this web site.
Congrats on your new pipe and happy smoking ! :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.