PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
New guy from AZ, been lurking/learning for a month or two.
Fairly new to piping, I was out in NC taking care of my elderly father earlier this year and saw his old pipes in the garage and asked if I could have a couple. He told me to take them all or they were gonna get tossed out. He hadn’t smoked in decades, but I remembered him smoking and having them when I was a kid in seventies.
Anyway, I packed ‘em up and shipped them home. I’ve refurbished them, and with the guidance of a friend at work that’s been a pipe smoker for years have been figuring out what I’m doing and what I like.
I’ve gotten a MM Eaton and polished Morgan for work and daily drivers, and enjoy the smaller briars I inherited frequently.
I lean more to non-aros and VaPers, but have gathered a few.

Pretty grateful to have the starter set I’ve got:
-Stanwell Reg #90 tomato
-Stanwell Reg #70 volcano
-Royal Danish 988 billiard
-Royal Danish 925 volcano
-Iwan Ries 26 danish pot
-no name danish brandy
-Nording NorCoat freehand sitter
-haven’t figured out maker freehand
-1970’s Missouri Meerschaum freehand
-Sven Lar 1FS handmade with briar rest and tamp

and a couple little MM’s for daily beaters.

I’ve got a meager selection of tobac, can’t wait to find my daily blend, I’ll keep trying!7EEA641A-A494-49CB-B7DE-06C75467A2B8.jpeg

Anyway, I look forward to learning/sharing what I can.

Attachments

• 9DB8A3B3-4A79-48BB-9883-145FFF3ADD75.jpeg
    9DB8A3B3-4A79-48BB-9883-145FFF3ADD75.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 35

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central N.C. Your dad had good taste in pipes. That's a nice stable he's bestowed upon you. His Stanwell's would have been Danish made, which is good. I like my Italian made Stanwell's, but the Danish originals have a special authenticity. Forums is good: I always learn something.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Welcome aboard from central N.C. Your dad had good taste in pipes. That's a nice stable he's bestowed upon you. His Stanwell's would have been Danish made, which is good. I like my Italian made Stanwell's, but the Danish originals have a special authenticity. Forums is good: I always learn something.
Yup, the Stanwells, Royal Danish, Iwan Ries, the Nording and no-name brandy are all Danish made. The acrylic stemmed freehand I haven’t found the maker yet.
Pretty sure everything but the two little cobs I’ve bought are all late-sixties production.