PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So I'm headed to KY from FL in early January to visit the in-laws. We're not checking any luggage, just carry-ons. Can I bring my pipes, tobacco, czeck tool(not likely), pipe-cleaners, and xikar lighter(butane emptied)?
Any suggestions from experience? I'd hate to lose a pipe, leaf, or xikar.

misternoah

Lurker
Nov 29, 2011
I think your pipe and tobacco are fine. I think you'd be fine with a check tool too. Lighter you might want to check on. Here's a link to the TSA sight. If it ain't on here, you can take it!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Nathaniel

I fly a lot. A little over 60K miles this year. Here's been my experiences, thus far. Since I've only really flown three times with pipes and stuff. Monday will be #4.
My pipes and tobacco have not been an issue. Pipe cleaners, ditto, no problems. I carry a regular Bic style lighter around (since I still smoke cigarettes too) and that has not been an issue either. I'm too scared to put a nice lighter in the carry-on. They still get taken away on occasion. The Bic works fine. So do matches, they pass without issue. I'd leave the Xikar at home.
The Czech tool... now that's another story. Personally, I've been lucky and it has gone through without issues twice lately. I'll find out on Monday how it goes on number three. I'm waiting for the day they'll think it's a nail clipper and take it away ;-) But for a couple of bucks, I don't think it's a big loss. A nicer tool, I would leave at home.
Two words of advice

1) Stuff it all in your carry-on bag. I never use the little trays..... ever ! Everything goes in the bag (phone, wallet, belt, lighter, loose change, etc...) I only have my license and boarding pass in my hand. I guess it may make the TSA guys think you know what you're doing, but it sure helps everyone in line for the scanner ;-) I take the phone and wallet and shove it in the carry-on right before the scanner. Then after going through, I put it back in my pocket. Sure you have to keep a good eye on your bag on the belt... but for now (knock on wood) that has worked for me. If you're not comfortable doing that, I recommend only putting a phone and wallet in the little tray. Everything else... in the bag. Which bring me to #2

2) Clutter the bag ;-) I have my laptop, power cord, USB cable, notepad, pens, etc in my bag. I guess it kinda obscures the Czech tool in the middle of it all. I don't put it in my tobacco pouch, but throw it with the pens in a side pocket. That way I guess it doesn't stick out or something.
Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info.
Good luck with the travels.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Reading the link that Misternoah posted, I would guess that the pipe tool would be ok as you can take tools under 7 inches long as carry on items. I notice they prohibit torch lighters but allow common lighters and one book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches.
I know they have to list every item, but it amused me that someone might go to that site to check if it was ok to put a couple of sticks of dynamite in their suitcase :)

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
You will be fine with your pipes, tobacco and pipe cleaners, but may encounter difficulty with the pipe tool and anything other than a bic or zippo lighter. Torch lighters are expressly forbidden, and if you have anything that looks differently than a bic or zippo, be prepared to explain the rule to the TSA worker and don't be afraid to ask for their supervisor if necessary. You can most certainly have a butane filled lighter, just turn the flame down before you arrive at the airport to avoid hassles. I have flown with a Dunhill Unique (looks like a Corona Old Boy) many times, but have also had to explain it is not a torch lighter on several occasions. My pipe tamper? One I've carved from a wooden stick. Hope this helps.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
I've never had a problem with tobacco, cigar cutters and matches, you should be fine.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I didn't bring my tool with me when I flew just because I didn't want to worry about the possible hassle. I've had to fly with screwdrivers on work trips before. Here's one story:

I flew from Dallas to El Paso with my back pack (only there for 2 days so didn't need much in the way of clothing), and my laptop bag. In the laptop bag were, amongst other things, a few screwdrivers. On the way there they made me take out the SDs and they measured them and said they were within the limits and let me through. On the way back they confiscated them saying they were illegal... I don't think the rules so much matter as the person checking your stuff and the mood they're in, how lazy they are, and/or how paranoid they are.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Alright, thanks everyone! I'm not worried about the czeck tool. I'll take it. If it gets tossed, big deal, I have a wooden tamper. And I was just curious about the Xikar, but won't take it. I was mainly wondering about the cleaners.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I've done a lot of travel with pipes and tobacco. The Czech tool is fine. I'd leave the Xikar at home and bring a cheap Bic disposable. I've traveled with 3 - 4 of those in my checked luggage dozens of times. You can have anything with a sharp point. The Czech tool has a point, but it is dull, so you are ok.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Thanks Guys, jsut the information I needed since I have to fly out to Missouri in March and I do NOT want to check my luggage....

misternoah

Lurker
Nov 29, 2011
smokenscotch: a cigar cutter?! I never tried, but I'd have figured if nail clippers send them into a tizzy that a cigar cutter would blow their minds and you'd be issued into a back room! I guess it's just all up to the screener/agent.
Anyway, safe travels to everyone flying over the holidays!

arinbjorn

Might Stick Around
Sep 14, 2011
I will be flying for the first time since I took up pipe smoking. This thread has been great! Now I have an idea of what to do.
Put pipes, tobacco, pipe cleaners, czech tool, and a bic in my carry on...
I am bringing along a specially comissioned pipe (an 8" long Canadian shape Anniversary Celebration Pipe, black rustic/white lucite stem, for the black tux/white dress of our wedding) and I wanted to make sure that it would be kosher with the TSA.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Wouldn't using a colibri or zippo transpack allow one to fly with a non torch lighter? Just food for thought if you want to fly with a preferred lighter.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I also travel a lot and have traveled from lots of different airports. I always take my pipes, tobacco tamper (Bone one) and my Pipe Maggie lighter. (I always carry a back up bic too.) The lighter can be carried full but I always carry it in my pocket and put it in the bin. I've had to show severa TSA agents how it works and that it isn't a torch, but never had them question it or think about confiscation.
The Czech tool is ok too. I haven't tried carrying a Zippo thru so can't speak on that one, but have found that any butane lighter will be ok, as long as it isn't a torch lighter and you can show them that it is just a soft flame.
I also put my wallet, belt and loose change and money in the carry on as well and after getting my boarding pass checked, that goes in as well. Just gets me and the people behind me thru quicker, as you have to have completely empty pockets when going thru the Xray.
I never check a bag anymore as it is getting too expensive.
Yuri, where in Missouri are you headed?

Status
Not open for further replies.