PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vorvick

Lurker
Feb 14, 2014
I'm flying Alaska and would like to bring my Old Boy. It says I can bring in a carry-on:

"Matches/lighters One book of safety matches or one common lighter"

Anyone have experience flying with an Old Boy? I don't it to be flagged/denied at security. It's butane but it doesn't look "common."

Thanks,

In my experience, just because it is ok, doesn't mean that the particular TSA agent that you have to get past, has the same understanding. I would not carry anything with me that I would not want to see thrown away before my eyes. I have had them say that my Bic lighter was restricted, when clearly it was ok. I've seen them throw away other stuff that was clearly marked on the sign as being ok. You can easily pick up a lighter once you land. Carrying a nice lighter is just a silly risk for a flea speck of luxury. YMMV

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I didn't travel with pipe or lighter or tobacco last weekend, but the info showed a Zippo style lighter as the kind you could carry on or have on your person, however, I wouldn't have one in my pocket that I valued and I agree with not testing TSA on an individual basis. I had a nice and personal pat down on the way home because the scan showed red in my nether region front and back, lol, "Sir would you like to go somewhere more private or my I check you here and by the way I'll be doing the following. . . ." Except for the zipper on my jeans it made no sense and that shouldn't be any issue. The whole time I'm thinking if he believes the scan and doesn't find anything (which he wouldn't) was that the end of it or would he want to get up my end, lol. He was satisfied his prying fingers didn't encounter anything metal, and no, I wasn't happy to see him and he summarily dismissed me! Despite my natural tendencies, I learned a long time ago not to try and joke with any TSA folks at that particular point in the process.

I would not risk carrying an old boy style lighter on my person but would rather check that in my bags.
If checked in your bag, it has to be empty, and you cannot carry fluid. So, you would have to find some lighter fluid upon landing anyways. Might as well just leave it at home, and buy a Bic when you land. It would just be easier.

And, they do go through your luggage randomly. I actually have more funny stories about them going through my luggage than boarding, but... I don't want to derail the thread.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
What!?! A gov't agency that's inconsistent?? Say it ain't so!

Coz has a good point. I've had more problem with a nice pipe tool or two. The ones I have have a dull 2" blade that's clearly meant for a slasher.
I have one of these for more than ten years, do you have the same? Once i made the mistake to fly with it, it was given a long look both in Athens and in Zurich but ultimately let through both times. Never again, it has sentimental value.

1650397500599.jpeg

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
If checked in your bag, it has to be empty, and you cannot carry fluid. So, you would have to find some lighter fluid upon landing anyways. Might as well just leave it at home, and buy a Bic when you land. It would just be easier.

And, they do go through your luggage randomly. I actually have more funny stories about them going through my luggage than boarding, but... I don't want to derail the thread.
Boy do I know it. I don't fly with anything I would miss if damaged, confiscated or "lost." Of course, I try to avoid flying if I can. I just don't enjoy the process. Never have. It's only gotten less & less pleasurable over the years.

b325112056b1db7b-600x338.jpg

I won't get started on my experiences at LAX. ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And where is that, please?

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
What!?! A gov't agency that's inconsistent?? Say it ain't so!

Coz has a good point. I've had more problem with a nice pipe tool or two. The ones I have have a dull 2" blade that's clearly meant for a slasher.
doubly so when it's put together in a hasty reactionary manner. Even more so when the people are tasked with doing a big task in the fundamentally worse way to go about it. The human mind just isn't designed to keep looking through everything to find one little thing every once and a while with almost no reward. A fun read is looking up what security experts from much more dangerous hot spots have to say about how TSA works. It's interesting to say the least.