PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I never used to get a flu shot because I never got the flu. People around me at the studio would be dropping like flies and I'd just be sailing on. But when I hit my 60's I started getting the flu. So I've been getting the flu shot every year since then. It's free.
I've not had any reaction to it other than the occasional temporary ache at the injection site.
I've had annual flu shots since my early 50's. Started it up because I got a case of the flu so bad was on the couch for 10 days. No problems since then. Now folks are understandably recommending it this year in particular to avoid the double whammy of covid and flu. Will certainly get 1 again this year.

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I usually get one. I’ve heard some folks say that the shot gave them the flu, which is not the case of course. Sometimes people walk in with the flu already in their system, get the shot, but it’s too late. Then they get symptoms and swear the shot gave them the flu. They don’t realize there’s a bit of a symptomless incubation period, and they walked in infected. The shot usually only covers certain strains, and the researchers try to anticipate which ones will most likely be encountered that season, and make vaccines for those ahead of time. If you are unlucky enough to catch a strain not covered, the shot won’t protect you, which is why you also hear people that swear the shot doesn’t work. It’s not perfect, but it’s free with my insurance, and takes 5 minutes. Why not get it?
and additionally to that people think there is medical this thing called a stomach flu. Nope that just gastroenteritis and not from a flu virus. I've seen that I got my flu shot and then got a flu that made me puke my guts out. Again that's not the flu which is respiratory.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not due to a flu shot.. but my wife actually got denied access to our son's school for our parent conference.. they said she had a 103 degree fever. I rushed through the appointment, and we went straight to the E.R., there her temp was normal. The thermometer at school was obviously wrong.. but how? They had checked kids with it all day.. every time they go in or out.

I'm not 65, but my doctor has offered the flu shot to me. I've never taken him up, I might one day though.
Temps can fluctuate. Even if she's a mild hypochondriac that could kick her immune system into kill mode for a little bit.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
once I view someone’s “political” musings, it permanently reflects, for me, upon that member’s views on the subjects germain to this forum; pipes and tobacco.
I do that too, but I see it as a good thing. It's a normal thing called affinity that we used to be guided by before unity and getting along became gods.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
and additionally to that people think there is medical this thing called a stomach flu. Nope that just gastroenteritis and not from a flu virus. I've seen that I got my flu shot and then got a flu that made me puke my guts out. Again that's not the flu which is respiratory.
Incorrect. The flu has three major possible manifestations: respiratory, gastrointestinal, or neurological. A flu patient can present only one of those or a combination. If it were strictly respiratory, it'd be like a cold and you'd not get leg aches, for instance.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I got mine today. I didn’t use to bother with flu shots, but as a teacher, I’m around so many germs. And with the current “virtual/distance learning” scenario, missing work would be 100x the headache it was pre-COVID, because very few subs are able to teach content, much less via Zoom, etc. I basically can’t miss a day this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.